Parts and Questions

Alright ive selected some parts for a watercooling rig im going to put together after I upgrade my comp and my funds collect, im quite poor and want the best, so if some of you can give me some pointers I would really appreciate it.

Heres my wish list,
$50 (radiator ebay choose barbs, free fan's)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3673&item=3480335479&rd=1

-This thing is big and looks cool, I dont think there is anything better =)

$20 (reservoir bestbyte.net (froogle) 1/2")
http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=1120&CategoryID=18&Keyword=

-cheap drive reservoir, I want to mod it in such a way I can fill the system without opening the case. [would perfer something already made for this though]

$1.35/ft hose www.critcool.com
http://www.criticool.com/7accessories.html

-Cheap hose

$75 (pump dangerden choose barbs)
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/dd12vd4.asp

-Only DC pump I can find made for water cooling that has 1/2" barbs, feel like im getting screwed here. [I dont want to deal with alternating current, and dont really know what makes a pump "good" or in my case "good enough"]

Im going to pickup swiftechs LGA775 water block after a quick search on froogle, as soon as they make it anyway.

After this is all is set up and my funds are back to size, I want to try peltier cooling. (cause thats where the 1ghz overclocks are) But I really would like to save as much as I can and this is how.

Would a 550w (or higher) PSU power a 226w peltier and a typical system? (I can get 550w PSU's off ebay for under $50) Or will I need to buy an Auxilary power supply?

I know the peltier needs a constant 25amps, but how does that translate into watts?

Any suggestions and or disaster insurance is welcomed, this is going to be my first attempt at water cooling and im sure there are some unseen rocks in the road, thanks alot for even reading this far. =)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The heater core looks like a winner

I would go with cheap Homedepot hose and use CoolSleeves on them. It is cheap and your tubes won’t kink or flatten out over time.

You might want to be careful with the current line of bay reservoirs I've seen lots of post where they have cracked.

In terms of pumps, the Aqua Extreme and the Swiftech DC pumps are both 1/2 ID. The price and performance is about the same.

Do NOT! buy the shit tubing from home depot or lowes. It will yellow, oxidize and harden.

Tygon is the best bet. Clearflex is okay, but I swear by Tygon.

Nice rads, have a black ice II myself.. love it.

You are wasting money if you buy Tygon or Clearflex these days. All PVC's have a high chemical resistance even the lower grades. I have yet to see tubes harden but I did just recently replace my HOME DEPOT tubing because it stated to soften and collapse. I fixed it by rapping the tubes in CoolSleeves.

Lothar5150 said:
You are wasting money if you buy Tygon or Clearflex these days. All PVC's have a high chemical resistance even the lower grades. I have yet to see tubes harden but I did just recently replace my HOME DEPOT tubing because it stated to soften and collapse. I fixed it by rapping the tubes in CoolSleeves.

You just proved my point qualitatively. Semantically, no, but thanks.

My HD tubing lasted three months before I noticed it sucked, and six months before I replaced it. My Tygon has lasted two years and is still soft, pliable and clear.

Thanks everyone ill change reservoirs, save cash on rad, and go with tygon (should be cheaper in the long run), But about the Aqua Extreme, I cant seem to find it, there are alot of Via Aqua 1300's but I dont know what to look for in a pump, and I know there's money to be saved in the pump.

If Power(watts)=I(amps)*E(volts), so 25amps*12volts=300watts + system usage, so from this technically I should be fine 650w power supply... right? Or could I be better off with a lower wattage power supply and give it 2/3 12v rails? (Im sure the max amps that a 12v rail can provide should fit in there someplace, but im no EE).

Aqua Extreme Pump

Check your PSU specification, they'll say how many amps it can provide on the 12 V line. Odds are you can't run that big of a pelt on the computer's PSU. You'll need a second power supply -- either another ATX one or a dedicated 12 V supply (Meanwell is a good brand).

Lord of Shadows said:
If Power(watts)=I(amps)*E(volts), so 25amps*12volts=300watts + system usage, so from this technically I should be fine 650w power supply... right? Or could I be better off with a lower wattage power supply and give it 2/3 12v rails? (Im sure the max amps that a 12v rail can provide should fit in there someplace, but im no EE).

No, you should run the peltier off a separate, dedicated power supply. Check out Meanwell, many TEC users run their supplies, and they can be bought at Danger Den I believe.
Also, a PC power supply supplies various voltages besides 12V, so you have to account for the rest of them when totalling up power output. If you look on the label on yours it will give current ratings for each voltage.

mwarps said:
You just proved my point qualitatively. Semantically, no, but thanks.

My HD tubing lasted three months before I noticed it sucked, and six months before I replaced it. My Tygon has lasted two years and is still soft, pliable and clear.

That is nice; you seem to have missed the point. If you use the cheap tubing and rap it in this stuff you will not end up with collapsed tubes, you will get a better bend radius and it is cheaper.

42.JPG

Back