Partitions

ChappyChaps11

Limp Gawd
My XP is running VERY faulty and I want to format cut I only have 1 hdd and about 6 gigs to backup. If i make a new partition and format will I lose both partitions?

If you have free space on your harddrive, you can use a program like PartionMagic to split it into two partitions, then put the data you want to save onto the new one, partition the old one.

yea the partition takes thw whole hdd I was gunna do what workingnonstop said since I have partition magic, but everytime i did this in the pastand did the format C: it erased both partitions and merged them back to one

Using Partition Magic Resize the current Partition

Then access Disk Management
Start > Run > (type) Diskmgmt.msc
create a new Primary Partition & Format

Copy over files and Folders

an extended partition is dependent on its primary

then reinstall to the current primary partition
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
> Repair Install

"Sometimes the only way to repair XP is to reinstall. You do not have to wipe your partition and start over. Just as with previous versions of Windows you can install over top of an existing setup. This has the advantage of retaining your installed applications, data and settings. You will lose previously saved System Restore Points but System Restore will begin creating new restore points again immediately following the Repair Install. You will need to reinstall SP1a and any Critical Updates from the Windows Update Site. Be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable to the Blaster and Welchia worms. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first. Then visit the Windows Update Site to patch your system It is always prudent to backup important data before you make changes to XP."

now you "should" have redundant data, so after you verify it
you can delete the extra version

might also want to read Partitioning Strategies ;)
Definition of System and Boot Partition (important for dual boot installs)
Primary, Extended and Logical Partitions

Thanks for the good info. I had tons of probs with my XP install but its all better now with a clean wipe :) SP1 is installing as I type

Thanks again

Back