Partition Magic

RemisGodly

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to make a new partition on an 80 GB hard drive. Currently I have two 40 GB partitions, one boots Windows and the other is for storage. I want to split the Windows partition into two new partitions.

Partition Magic "recommends" making the new drive after my current "D" drive, but I want it to be before that. Is that okay?

I want to make this a logical or primary drive if I want to be able to boot linux from it?

Which linux file system do I want to use to install the latest version of RedHat?

Thanks

Edit: Or should I use the new Operating System choice in Partition Magic?

hmmm....1st a peice of advise
when using Partition Magic to resize, relocate partitions ect
do one thing at a time, most of the problems Ive ever had (or heard tell of) came from trying to do too many tasks at one time.

There shouldnt be an issue with making a partition in front of another, resize, move, create (Ive done this for swapfiles)

2nd http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-partitions.html

Im not exactly sure how you would go about installing a dual boot with (XP NTFS) already present through Partition Magic, youd need to review their documentation are you going to be using LILO or Grub? If they are offering some sort of boot managers youd probably want to investigate the Linux bootmanagers first and 3rd party aps as well (linked in the Advanced HDD Issues Thread)

3rd as to which Filesystem would be recommended with the latest version, there are a few links in the Advanced HDD Issues sticky thread at the top of the board (Alternative Filesystems Section)

But Id recommend getting some specific input from the Linux gurus, and they hang out mostly in the Operating Systems Forum ;)

Good Luck

Back