Overclocking Ti4200?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Just baught a 4200, what Nvidia tools are there for overclocking. I have always used ATI cards and ATITool, is there anything like that? I have the overclocking options enabled in my nvidia drivers, and I have rivatuner, but both those I have to do the 5mhz testing thing and that takes forever. I liked ATITool where you could telle it to find your max speeds and it did all the work, is there anything like that for Nvidia cards?

not that I know of, I just always used coolbits and had to do the work myself, sorry.

blbrchnk said:
not that I know of, I just always used coolbits and had to do the work myself, sorry.

Yeah, looks like im doing the same, just a pain to run BIT every 5 mhz

I get 290 core and 590 memory on my retired xfx ti4200 128 it is mad stable and a nice improvement. I know because I use Farcry to test the settings. Core and memory are both 15 mhz below where artifacting would start. Farcry is the ultimate "poorman's testing tool".

I hope I saved you time.

Just got a 6800 ST - very cool. I still give props to the ti4200 though- it got me through :cool:

Start around 310 and run 3Dmark, usually the core oc will cause bizarre corruption and occasionally freeze. With the memory you shoudl be looking for artifacts. Go up or down 3mhz at a time depending on what you see. My chaintech could run it at 320, but would lock occasionally in ut2004.. coming back down to 310 it runs good. I ended up at 627 memory.. but i have the 64mg card which is slightly faster ram.

I prefer Powerstrip, myself. My MSI Ti4200 runs rock solid at 300/605, maybe even higher with low ambient temps. It's been so long I don't even recall what stock speeds are on this card.

I've run my Gainward Ti4200 Golden Sample 128mb card at 317/590 flawlessly for over a year now. You should be able to hit 290/560 fairly easy with the 128mb version. I'm not sure how well the 64mb version of the Ti4200 o/cs.

xkilla101 said:
I've run my Gainward Ti4200 Golden Sample 128mb card at 317/590 flawlessly for over a year now. You should be able to hit 290/560 fairly easy with the 128mb version. I'm not sure how well the 64mb version of the Ti4200 o/cs.

the 64MB version should OC slightly higher when it comes to the ram (64MB ti4200s had a 500MHz spec mem speed, compared to the 128MB 444Mhz spec mem speed) but the core should yield you (depending on your power supply, case temps, and size of the cooler on the card) anywhere from 300MHz core (ti4600 speed) to 325-330 range.

My ti4200 has been running at 330core/585mem for 2 years :D

I've got my xfx ti4200 clocked at 318/550 though haven't really tried to do anything higher. It runs FarCry with full grfx settings @ 1152x864 4x AA 4x AF with playable framerates(like 30-40fps). So i suppose thats good for the age of the card.

im at 290/485. When I was at 300/495, about every ten minues, BFV would hang for a few seconds.....think it was the core or the memory that would cause that?

core definitely. may be worth turning agp voltage up a notch... although it didn't seem to affect things much on my rig. You may just have to turn it town a few mhz.

Inside_line said:
core definitely. may be worth turning agp voltage up a notch... although it didn't seem to affect things much on my rig. You may just have to turn it town a few mhz.

I dont think I can adjust volts in my bios, it sucks

Viper87227 said:
I dont think I can adjust volts in my bios, it sucks

OK, I lied, I found out how to.... more importantly...try as I may, I just cannot get it to run stable over 285. 290 and it artifacts, 295 and it wont load almost anything, and 300 and it crashes everywhere, but the guy before me ran it at 300 with no issues. What coudl it be? Think it could be getting to hot? Would applying some AS5 get me a better clock? BTW I popped off the heatsink and there was almost no thermal on there. There was no residue on the heatsink and I coudl see the nvidia logo on the core....is that how its supposed to be?

Well, your really only 10-15mhz off the guys in here... OC is the luck of the draw, your not gonna see much difference with a few mhz. But yeah, you should have plenty of thermal compound on there, and a clean working cooler firmly attached. I bonded the thermaltake gf4 cooler to mine with arctic silver adhesive... let it sit overnight with some weight piled on it for a good bond. If you have a good system and some cash.. I think now is the time for us guys with ti4200's to upgrade if your looking for more performance.

Viper87227 said:
OK, I lied, I found out how to.... more importantly...try as I may, I just cannot get it to run stable over 285. 290 and it artifacts, 295 and it wont load almost anything, and 300 and it crashes everywhere, but the guy before me ran it at 300 with no issues. What coudl it be? Think it could be getting to hot? Would applying some AS5 get me a better clock? BTW I popped off the heatsink and there was almost no thermal on there. There was no residue on the heatsink and I coudl see the nvidia logo on the core....is that how its supposed to be?

First- when u run it at 285, what are u running the memory at ? Leave the memory at stock speeds until u find the max core.

Second, is the heatsink getting pretty hot ? because if not its not making goot contact. If so you should remove the HS and lap it down with sandpaper (check google and the forums for a lapping guide- but basicly start with 220 grit sandpaper and then 400, 500,600, 800, and 1000 till the HS is ultra flat). If you really have got the cahonies, you can lap the GPU chip. Like I said, find some good guides that talk about using a mirror as a sanding surface, and following figure-8 patterns. Just make sure no matter what that you dont get any metal fragments on the card (with that said, any silver based thermal compound is a bad idea for cards- it can leak out and cause artifacts or mobo stability problems or even fry the agp slot/mobo (yes it has happened)).

Beyond that play with the AGP voltage, and make sure you are using the best drivers for your card (the 6x.xx and 5x.xx series drivers are way slower for GF4 Tis than the 4x.xx series (as in 1000-1500 3dmark2001 drops) my personal fav is the 43.51 (its what im running right now).

Will all this stuff make a difference ? *Shrugs* Theres gotta be somereason im running at 330 Core with no special cooling (other than tons of case airflow) and why I can get 12,000 20013dmarks (with a KT133A chipset and PC133). So give it a try if u want, especially if ur going to get a new card anytime soon :)

Does anyone know the upper limits on the core and memory? Right now I'm at 302/598, and anything above that (using my stock cooling) won't work. If I go out and get a Crystal Orb, or Watercool... are the chips going to go much faster? Or have they been maxed out as is?

Back