Overclocking Potential: IC7 vs. P4c800

Frank_Fuster

Limp Gawd
Hello. I'm finally building my first non Dell, home built pc. I have been doing research for abou a month now and I have everything except for the Mobo, CPU and Memory.

In the memory camp, because of the various forums I have asked advice and seen peoples results I am going to order a set of Kingston Hyper X 3200.

In the CPU department, well, it depends. It's gonna be a 800FSb model, but I still havent figured out what speed stepping I'm gonna get, but right now its a 2.4C

However my greatest concern is the Mobo department. It's just that there are too many options from too many great manufacturers. However, from what I have gathered, the two best options for me are the Abit IC7 and the Asus P4c800.

I realize that they have the same chipset and generally speaking, come with similar features. However, I have no idea as to which one has the greatest overclocking potential. Some of my friends have told me that the Abit has a truck load of mods that can be done to it to increase the vdimm and vcore voltages, but I am still a newbie and I am still uncomfortable with mods that require soldering varaible resistors to mobo pins.

Basically, my question is; Out of the box, Which mobo can take a 2.4C to max overclock?

I believe the IC7-Max3 is the best. Due to its higher voltages. BUT, I am pretty sure out of the box, both the P4C800-E Deluxe and the IC7-Max3 can take your chip as far as it can go. Why not get PC3500 Mushkin lvl 2? It will definitly overclock better than that Kingston (although the kingston isn't bad for running it @ 200mhz).

well I thought it was better since even HARD OCP gave it its best memory of the year or whatever they call it. ANd I am sorta on a tight budget.

Oh and I wasnt talking about the IC7 MAX3 or deluxe version of the asus. I was talking about about IC7 and p4c800 standard versions. I sort of already know that the ABit MAX3 is the end all be all of overclocking.

Check out my signature with overclocking abilities of the IC7 :D

prc800-e deluxe is a far better motherboard. check anandtech's review of it.

Back