Overclock a Centrino

Skud

Gawd
Is it possible to overclock the Centrinos?

The laptop I'm buying (Asus M6000N) is a barebone unit, so I will be assembling it myself. I'm going to put a 1.4 in it, but I don't see why I can't try to run it at 1.6?

Are the multipliers locked?

Riley

Well, I wouldn't overclock an insane amount. I mean if I have a 1.4 centrino and overclock it to 1.6, then that's really no different then actually having a 1.6.

Riley

except the heatsink that would come with it is for the 1.4, the 1.6 may overheat under load.

No, the heatsink that comes with it is the one that's part of the asus barebone laptop. It's the same one no matter what CPU you buy.

Riley

If you want to overclock, get a regular machine with a big copper hsf. Overclocking a laptop is just silly. :rolleyes:

I really don't see the problem with overclocking it.

If you overclock your P4 2.4 to a P4 2.6 do you really think it puts out more heat than a stock 2.6? No! (Well, unless you have a really bad chip)

I don't see why the same idea can't be applied to the centrino. The PM1.4 and PM1.6 are the same chip, just speed binned. If I overclock the 1.4 to 1.6 then it should work EXACTLY like a stock 1.6 (again unless I got a really bad chip; In which case I would keep it at 1.4)

Riley

I imagine that the answer is in the BIOS. In my experience the BIOS for laptops have very few tweaking options.

I imagine that it would be dificult to overclock a laptop with out some hardware mods. I assume the bios would e quite limiting.

Back