Overclock 9800 pro

I have a radeon 9800 pro which, i found out with Rivatuner, is underclocked by like 2 mhz Core speed. I figured that i should/could overclock and also to fix the underclock to get what i paid for. What are some memory and core speeds that people have safely gotten to with stock cooling? It is manufactured by ATI.

He said safely, running your built by ati card at 420/370 on stock is not safe. Try touching the ram or back of the gpu after gaming for 2 hours. You will get burned.

Your clocks are normal, none of the cards are EXACT;Y same as they say. They usually round up to the nearest tenth.

For example a 9600xt i bought was 499.50 on the core, its just easier to advertise as 500.

400 core and 360 is a mild overclock that'll boost performance enough to notice and be fine with stock cooling.

I have mine at 420/355 with 6 fans in my computer, my cpu temp is 24 celcius so i know my vid card will be gettin cooled sufficiently as well...

i have 3 fans not including the powersupply fan.... how can i add another and can you give me links to fans please... i get like 31c idle and reaches 50-60c loaded...im using a 9800pro slightly overclocked...

Originally posted by Mikey20
i have 3 fans not including the powersupply fan.... how can i add another and can you give me links to fans please... i get like 31c idle and reaches 50-60c loaded...im using a 9800pro slightly overclocked...

Cut a BlowHole for the top, and one on the case door right over the Video Card. Should sufice.

My card has run stable since I bought it last May at 420/360 with good case cooling like I mentioned above. A good stable clock of 410/350 will do no damage on a regular setup. Oh and its a BB ATI card also.

other thing im worried about is my case is made for maximum air flow meaning no hot air is trapt inside the fans are very well placed where it flushes out the hot air...by placing another hole or fan can interfere with the flow and maybe make things worse by traping some hot air inside the case....

Originally posted by Seraphim974
I have a radeon 9800 pro which, i found out with Rivatuner, is underclocked by like 2 mhz Core speed. I figured that i should/could overclock and also to fix the underclock to get what i paid for. What are some memory and core speeds that people have safely gotten to with stock cooling? It is manufactured by ATI.

That 2mhz underclock is pretty standard. My card came stock at 378/338. They just round it up to 380/340 for marketing reasons. And who knows, maybe some did come clocked exactly at advertised speeds. But 2 mhz ins't enough to throw a stink over imo. My safe level (not max) overclocks are in my sig. My max overclock with no artifacts is 435/365. Not bad at all for stock cooling.

Coolio, i used rivatuner to overclock to 400/360 and i got a 26k on aquamark instead of the usual 22-25k. And this score is on a system with crappy SDRAM...

9800np flashed to Pro, VGA Scilencer, Cheap ramsinks

maxes out at 466/390 for benchmarks, run 24/7 at 450/380

Originally posted by Nexx
9800np flashed to Pro, VGA Scilencer, Cheap ramsinks

maxes out at 466/390 for benchmarks, run 24/7 at 450/380
hey Nexx, why arent you watercooling your gpu instead of the silencer with your exos? wouldnt it yeild better temps?

I got 11 fans in my computer and IM getting a VGA silencer to see if I can hit 460/420(With XT BIOS flash)

right now sitting stock at 445/400

Lap The Vga silencer, and add some AS5 when you install it, and you should be able to hit 480 pretty easily on the Core.... Im Hitting 500 on my non Pro with VGA silencer.

Originally posted by jwill
hey Nexx, why arent you watercooling your gpu instead of the silencer with your exos? wouldnt it yeild better temps?

exos is great for cooling one device IMO. It would probably cool my Radeon better then the Silencer at the cost of cooling on my cpu.

Originally posted by Ov3rclockjunki3
Lap The Vga silencer, and add some AS5 when you install it, and you should be able to hit 480 pretty easily on the Core.... Im Hitting 500 on my non Pro with VGA silencer.

Yep, you can feel the ridges on the VGA silencer when you run your finger nail over the contact area. Thats really bad. I'm just too lazy to Lap. I might do it later. :D

I have my 9800 Pro running at 412/365 with stock heatsink/fan and 10 fans in the case, with no heating problems at all.. Touched the memory after running 3Dmark03 for about 10 hours, and it was barely hot..

Back