Original Playstation Launch Price?

Doward

[H]ard|Gawd
Just having a convo here, wonder if anyone remembers - what was the original PS's launch price, in the US? I'm thinking $249.99, but my friend thinks it was $149.99...

i paid $500 for the console, battle arena toshinden and ridge racer, another controller, memory card and the RF adaptor 2 days after launch.

I think I paid around $300, Costco had a bundle with two controllers, memory card, and two (crappy) games. Boy was gaming different back in those days.

I paid 299.99 on Day 1. Man what a kick in the teeth it was when I got home and realized I needed an RF adapter lol.

I remember when I was like 7 I would always look in Playstation magazines imaging I was playing that latest game and when I was at target I went straight to the Videogames section staring at it all day dieing for mum to buy me one.

They were like $300 back then, im 18 now :D and I have had 2 of them which are now in peaces (they wore out).

Playstation 1 Launch Wiki

I remember it launching at much more than $299. It was either $399 or $499. I remember clearly because when I went to buy it, the store clerk told my parents they were dropping the price to $299 in a week and that we should wait, so we did.

MSRP was $299, but even back in those days there were some people taking advantage of demand.

Baredor said:
MSRP was $299, but even back in those days there were some people taking advantage of demand.
My parents bought two; one for myself, and one they put in the paper for 450, and they sold it within a few days iirc.

It was 299 plus tax. I bought a saturn just before it for 399 instead of getting a playstation. My brother bought a playstation....he would have the original receipt if the original PS wasn't so problematic that he had.

Yeah, no doubt it was $200. That's one other thign that madeit so much more desirable than the Saturn.

It was 3 hundo I recall very well. I traded my SNES, Genesis.w/SegaCD&32x, and my games (read: boatloads) for a PS1 with an extra controller and Battle Arena Toshinden. :(

Oh well, my friends and I were Mall rats addicted to Mortal Kombat 2 at the tender of age of like 14. They picked up smoking cigs. Be surprised how cheap I got that SNES and games at least :p I was a sega kid if for nothing else, we are all impressionable !!!!!!s at that age and nothing compared to my Genesis when I picked it up. Altered beast and that little cutscene of 'em morphing into the wolf. :eek:

It was magic then. I gave it all a way. I huggles my Opty, prometia, x1900XT, snes9x, and pretend it didn't happen. :)

Back