One touch fanbus

braidman

Gawd
Ok so i am gonna be building a system next week (I hope) and i want it to mostly run as silent as the K6-350 compaq sitting by my feet here. I was thinking about putting in a fanbus so i could crank up the cooling when I want to game. But I think i just had a better idea and wanted to see what you guys think.

What if i just had a simple toggle switch, so my computer would have two settings basically, earsplittingly cool, and warm and quit?

Is this a good idea?
What would be the best way to do this?

What do you guys think?

you could, make a 7/12 fanbus with one big switch and just tie all your fans together

no reason why not

You wouldn't even need to have it take up a drive day like the ones with all the swithches. Since you will only need to use one switch you can mount it somewhere else and not have to waste a drive bay.:)

Originally posted by FLECOM
you could, make a 7/12 fanbus with one big switch and just tie all your fans together

no reason why not

Well I was thinking of something more complicated, i would want an adjustable level (or custom set at least) for each indivual fan, actually it would be two levels a low and a high for each. I was thinking maybe a resistor network (woudnt be adjustable though) could do it. As in 12v comes into the one switch, then it is switched between the high and low circuits, then each circuit has a certain resistance for each fan depending on how loud/quiet you want each fan to be. Alternatively you could have a Potentieometers (i borked up that spelling huh?) for each fan in each mode.

I wish I could just find a really quiet+high capacity fan somewhere then I could plumb air to each component as needed. :p

Originally posted by gamingguru
You wouldn't even need to have it take up a drive bay like the ones with all the swithches. Since you will only need to use one switch you can mount it somewhere else and not have to waste a drive bay.:)

Yup. :)

Wow it would be really really cool to build the device I am talking about and have like 4 little led bars that jump up and down when I hit the switch to go from performance mode to quiet mode. :)

But alas there is no time :p school quickly approaches.....oh well

Back