Once again- headphones at $50 and under

mpeg4v3

Gawd
After this week is over it's back to the dorms with me. I'd like to be able to get a set of headphones so that I can listen to music on both my laptop (what I'm typing on now, a powerbook) and my PC back at the dorms. Also, since I'm now a poor college student after buying this laptop, I'd like to spend under $50 on the headphones. I've been browsing bestbuy.com and I've seen two Sennheiser headphones for under $50- the HD477's and HD457's. Are these good headphones? I'd probably go for the HD477's. Also, will they be fine volume wise both out of my laptop's headphone jack and my PC's line-out jack? Would you guys prefer some other set of headphones? Main emphasis is going to be movies, games, and music... so pretty much everything. I know I can't exactly get sweet, kick-ass headphones for $50, but I need some sort of decent headphones. I CANNOT spend any higher than $50 ($55-60 including tax) so please no "if you're willing to spend a bit more..." replies.

HD-497's.....no question! I got mine for $45 off ebay brand new, you can probably do the same. These things rock! I've had them for over a year now...the sound quality is excellent. I use them at college as well, and they're great for rockin' out to mp3's and dvds. In terms of volume, these suckers are really high quality and even my wimpy single AA battery MP3 player can pack a punch on these (low resistance i guess? i think i remember something about oxygen-free copper). You don't need an amp with these either, sound great w/o. I've also been able to hear all kinds of new sounds in movies I never thought existed before (low bass) with my old crappy headphones. Buy these and you will not regret it! Sennheiser also has great warranty service too...oh yeah, and they have detachable earplugs for storage/replacement.

The 497's might retail for ~$79 at some places, but they can (and in your case, should) be had for cheaper. now go buy them!;)

cambridge soundworks usually has good deals on Grado's check out the SR-60's and SR-80's. There open air though so they can annoy roommates and such at college.

oh btw the hd497's are either open or semi-open, so your roomate will hear some of the music. I've listened to a friend's grado's and i couldn't tell the difference w/ them....so whatever's cheaper works too

Koss ksc-35's from koss.com for 30$. They don't look like much, but they sound like they cost a lot more.

www.ecost.com has senn 280 pro's availible for $49.99 w/ free shipping. Add them to your cart to see the real price. Be sure to blast some music through them for about 72 hours before passing judgement on thier sound.

Originally posted by GodsMadClown
Be sure to blast some music through them for about 72 hours before passing judgement on thier sound.
NO! ;)

Originally posted by mpeg4v3
After this week is over it's back to the dorms with me. I'd like to be able to get a set of headphones so that I can listen to music on both my laptop (what I'm typing on now, a powerbook) and my PC back at the dorms. Also, since I'm now a poor college student after buying this laptop, I'd like to spend under $50 on the headphones. I've been browsing bestbuy.com and I've seen two Sennheiser headphones for under $50- the HD477's and HD457's. Are these good headphones? I'd probably go for the HD477's. Also, will they be fine volume wise both out of my laptop's headphone jack and my PC's line-out jack? Would you guys prefer some other set of headphones? Main emphasis is going to be movies, games, and music... so pretty much everything. I know I can't exactly get sweet, kick-ass headphones for $50, but I need some sort of decent headphones. I CANNOT spend any higher than $50 ($55-60 including tax) so please no "if you're willing to spend a bit more..." replies.

You can do MUCH better than buying headphones at Best Buy. You see, those two Senns are sold by Best Buy only through their bestbuy.com Web site - and even then, they'll charge the FULL MSRP on both of those headphones! If you have to order online anyway, then why order from a full-price retailer such as bestbuy.com when you can get the same two headphones for much less $$$ somewhere else?

BTW, the ONLY reason to pay full list price on any headphones is if you cannot order online or mail-order (which means that you can only purchase at a brick-and-mortar store), AND you cannot locate a brick-and-mortar store that discounts headphones by much.

Originally posted by GodsMadClown
www.ecost.com has senn 280 pro's availible for $49.99 w/ free shipping. Add them to your cart to see the real price. Be sure to blast some music through them for about 72 hours before passing judgement on thier sound.

Now $69.99 and says call for availability. :confused:

Back