? on limiting factor

DBRASCO

Weaksauce
I can't get the FSB above 205. I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, P4-3.0C, 1G of XMS PC3200. This set up is running in dual channel. Despite trying different voltages on the CPU and the memory I can't get this set up to run above 205. I have an antec 480W power supply.

What do you think is my limiting factor? I would get 1g of xms PC4400, but don't want to spend the cash if memory is not the limiting factor....

Please help me get higher......

DBRASCO

try lowering the cas on the ram a bit... that helped w/ my amd

I have lowered the timing to 3-4-4-8 and still can't get any higher....

Well, since you started a limmiting factor thread and I was about to post the same thing I think I will just add to this one insted of making a whole new thread...

I have:

Asus p4s8x-x
Retail P4 2.4ghz 400fsb
2x generic PC2100 DDR 256MB sticks 3-4-4-6
Stock cooling
Stock volts
350W PSU
Asylum GF4ti2400 @ 300/600

I cant go above 2.8ghz without prime95 crapping out. The CPU temps are 36 idle 53 prime95 load currently so I dont think temp is the issue as you can get up to 75 before the auto self-preservation starts kicking in. I'm thinking its the crappy ram which I bought off pricewatch lowest price I could find :( Or do I need to up the volts? Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Shinare
Well, since you started a limmiting factor thread and I was about to post the same thing I think I will just add to this one insted of making a whole new thread...

I have:

Asus p4s8x-x
Retail P4 2.4ghz 400fsb
2x generic PC2100 DDR 256MB sticks 3-4-4-6
Stock cooling
Stock volts
350W PSU
Asylum GF4ti2400 @ 300/600

I cant go above 2.8ghz without prime95 crapping out. The CPU temps are 36 idle 53 prime95 load currently so I dont think temp is the issue as you can get up to 75 before the auto self-preservation starts kicking in. I'm thinking its the crappy ram which I bought off pricewatch lowest price I could find :( Or do I need to up the volts? Any suggestions?

That has to be the worst ram i have ever seen

The generic stuff, from the post that he quoted.

As for your problem, I wouldn't go spending money on new RAM just yet. Can you run it at a different ratio and see if the RAM will run faster that way? It seems that 200MHz RAM should be able to handle a little bit more than 205.

Ok, I need help from the experts here.... I've tested the memory using memtest 3.0 w/every vdimm combination available up to 2.8 anything over 205 FSB gives errors on every test....

My question is the memory the limiting factor here? Does the processor play any part in DOS when running memtest? or the motherboard?

If it is the memory would getting XMS4400 help it's guaranteed for 250 FSB...... as my pc3200 is only 200FSB....

DBRASCO

Back