Old-school oc'ing...

8Complex

Limp Gawd
Ok, don't laugh... I'm playing around with the current machine before I upgrade. :)

So I've got a pII400 on an Asus P2B mobo with some no-name PC100 RAM... I can hit 448mhz with it no problem (4x112), but it won't post at 4x133 (532mhz) at all. I've tried a few things, but the options on the P2B are really limited in terms of voltage, etc.

Would it be a good guess that my RAM just isn't capable of taking the extra speed? It seems very stable now, and temp's are still very low with the dual Antec cooler on the CPU. The thing is, the RAM I've got was part of the very first batch of PC100 ever released, so I'm guessing it's already on the edge of it's life.

Just to give perspective, the pII400 was $900 and my 128MB of PC100 was $400 when I bought it all. It still makes me cringe to think about it. :eek:

try Googling for your mobo, there just might be some sort of wire trick to up the voltage a bit.

i oc'd my p133 to 150 with 16mb of <forgot speed> or ram lol....

but yeah, there should be a voltage mod. btw, that setup cost me 1800$ lmao

Originally posted by jagec
try Googling for your mobo, there just might be some sort of wire trick to up the voltage a bit.

Would upping the voltage help? It's already at a pretty consistent 1.95-1.99v.

Well, did a search and ironically found a link on an October 1999 HardOCP article that described how to make a P2B have adjustable voltage! Interesting read, even though he doesn't describe what the settings are for the DIP switches. I'll have to read up some more and see if I can get a full understanding before diving into that one...

heyheyhey - LOL, yeah, I had a p120 that was oc'd to 133 successfully for like 7 years. :)

Back