Okay, suddenly my WD400 is LOUD

Astroman

Gawd
Guys. I am finally growing tired of this insane amount of noise emanating from my box. I have eliminated one of my smart case fan 2's from Thermaltake (the ones that rival tornados for dB levels), and put the other on a vantec Nexus rheobus.

Today I finally modded my Zalman northbridge HS, you know, cut off the 3 pins on each corner so I could replace the factory HSF that comes on the IS7. I lapped it to 2000 grit and all is well.. That fan had started buzzing it was insanely annoying.

Anyhow, now that I have eliminated MUCH of my fan noise, I can suddenly hear my hard drive. I think it may be on its way out because I don't remember it ever being this loud in my old P1 233 that I had bought it for originally, about 6 months before building this new machine. Anyhow it has a really loud whine to it, sounds like the motor itself.

SO. I want to replace it with a good drive. I really really want a WD Raptor, but considering that I will probably be using this box for a HTPC in the future I want it QUIET. I have used a few raptors in systems I built for people, and they weren't really loud, but I haven't had enough time with one on my bench to really know. I have heard many complaints about them having a high-pitched whine.

The new 74 Gb raptor uses FDB's and is supposedly SILENT but I don't really have the $260 to drop on a new HDD at the moment.

HOKAI. So that brings me to my question. What drive should I get? In my brief searchins I found that the Samsung SP1614N is a good choice. the SP1614C is the same drive but uses a SATA bridge on the PCB and obviously provides for SATA interfacing. However, according to some benchmarks on some review I found of these 2 drives, the PATA model actually was a bit faster than the SATA model.

Its also a few bucks cheaper.

Can anyone recommend a better drive for me in the same price range or cheaper? better meaning equally quiet, and cheap.

heh... I'm not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I need to order this in the next day or 2 before I get sick from this noise, or my hard drive crashes.. whichever comes first.

Oh, and I just ran into the Hitachi Deskstar 7k250. Newegg has the 80gb model for like $75... supposedly very quiet and fast, in SATA. Model HDS722580VLSA80

Back