OCing Barton Multi at 12 instead of 10

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
For whatever reason my Barton can't be at 10x200 but 11x182 is fine and dandy. For whatever reason it jusst seems to hate being at 10 I think. I have 2x512 HyperX 3500 if your wondering. So since everything gets flakey around 190+ with a multi of 11 would putting it to 12 give it a better OC or make any difference?

yeah going to 12 might allow you to push the cpu higher without putting as much stress on the FSB

yeah going to 12 might allow you to push the cpu higher without putting as much stress on the FSB

Got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards...

Originally posted by PolarbearBigEd

Well, offer your insight on his dilema.

You can overclock via the processor clock as well. Yes, you do get a performance increase as well. As much as a FSB increase, maybe not, but if he can go higher with a combination of both, then why not ?

Originally posted by PolarbearBigEd

How exactly is that dumb?

If he only wants to bring the FSB up to say 200, 11*200 = 2200, whereas 12*200=2400

The FSB isn't changed, and the clock is obviously higher.

Hell, he could run the FSB at 182 with a multiplier of 12 to get to 2200...

How is this stupid, especially if his board won't do above 182?

Turn on your brain, look in the mirror and than come back and be civil.

Cripes.

if your having problems using the 10 multi like it wont want to post but in safe mode drop you mem down to 133 and set you multi to 10 get to post screen go back in bios and jack the fsb up. thats it ive had to do it on abit,asus,and chaintech boards 10,9.5 and other multis dont want to work for some reason unless you set the fsb to 133 then get to post screen

if you need to overclock try up teh fsb down 12 then go back up down ctrl alt delete square root bacon run on sentence 15 x 5 = 30000

yea, you might be able too. just becarful because if you set the multi too high with a high fsb then your comp wont boot. its happened to me several times.

what would you guys have your 3500 set at speed wise?

I think what that guy thought was "will raising my multiplier take stress off of the current fsb that I have now. He's thinking 180x11 to 180x12 and saying that no it won't take any less stress of off the fsb - then "that's stupid since they are both 180 obviously" This is my opinion on the dilema.

what should I put my ram at which mem frequency? 100% = 166 so what speed you think is best? It's at auto right now which is 400? I think

*Bump*
Originally posted by Glow
what should I put my ram at which mem frequency? 100% = 166 so what speed you think is best? It's at auto right now which is 400? I think

what sort of cooling have you got on your north bridge cuz if its passive that might be whats holding you back on the high fsb speeds

Originally posted by fr33ze
what sort of cooling have you got on your north bridge cuz if its passive that might be whats holding you back on the high fsb speeds
What about the ram?

Well right now I am running my Barton @ 2212Mhz at DDR 400, 7,3,3,2. I still have no idea what Mhz my Ram should be at. Since this is OCing better than when my multiplier was at 11 you think I should put it at 12.5?

Back