Oblivion random CTD!!

Entropy

Gawd
Hey guys.. I've been playing and loving this game, but for some reason, I have a random crash to desktop. There is no rhyme or reason to it crashing. I can play and it'll just randomly crash. Sometimes right when I load up the game, sometimes when I'm saving, or when I'm running around. I'm getting really really annoyed with it. Almost enough to just stop playing the game.

The weird thing is, no other games do this for me, I've played FEAR for 5 hours straight nothing, Doom 3, HL2, CSS, EQ2, CoD2... hell, even BF2 doesnt crash. But this does.

My hardware consists of:

Athlon 64 3200+ a 2.3ghz
2Gb DDR400
BFG 7800GT OC
DFI NF4X

I'm using the 84.25 "Oblivion optomised" drivers. Anybody else have this random crashing or is just me..

EXACT SAME problem for me... Sorry no clue what's up...
Wish they would patch it or something.

I'm pretty much the same system minus my graphics card isn't as nice as yours... I'm 6800 Ultra.... though same issue you have... random CTD, I'm in the castle (maybe 3 hours or so into the game)... thing crashs constantly now, no real point in playing.

Yea... I think a lot of us get random crashes to desktop. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. It's probably some sort of bug or compatability issue with some hardware. I've learned to quicksave often because of it...

I haven't had any "random" ctd's, so to speak. All my crashes occur at the same spot - the Surille Vineyard outside Skingrad (or whatever that city is called). It happens while following a woman for the Glathmir quest. I haven't tried going there while not on the quest.

Anyone else getting this crash?

Very rarely do I get it, maybe 3 times in 40 hours. But occasionally I do get them as well.

Just following a hunch a few friends of mine had: What sound cards have you all got?

All crashes I've seen have been with creative cards, but then again that's what most people use, so it might not mean anything. It's still interesting to note that out of the three of us, I'm the only one without crashes, and the only notable hardware differences is that I use an intel integrated soundcard (yeah, I know), and a p4 instead of an athlon.

Why is that? Creative make an awesome product yet their drivers suck, their updates suck. I love going to their website, getting the updated drivers for my card andm upon installing them I'm told I don't have said card installed. WTF is that about? I can open my case and read the serial number of the card I got the drivers for off the damn card.

I was getting them too, then I updated my video drivers that fixed "some" of them. Then I shut down most background processes, again it got better. Then I installed the february directx update, haven't crashed again yet. Maybe I haven't played long enough in the past two days but I think it was around 4-5 hours without a crash then I had to quit, and this is on a much more modest system. It seems prone to crashing when loading areas outdoors and when entering/exiting areas.

auxout said:
I was getting them too, then I updated my video drivers that fixed "some" of them. Then I shut down most background processes, again it got better. Then I installed the february directx update, haven't crashed again yet. Maybe I haven't played long enough in the past two days but I think it was around 4-5 hours without a crash then I had to quit, and this is on a much more modest system. It seems prone to crashing when loading areas outdoors and when entering/exiting areas.
Yeah, I have latest nvidia driver (84.25) and the february directx update as well. I've only been getting the crash in the west weald outside skingard (skingrad? skringard?). It only happens as the new terrain is loading. I haven't really explored too much though. I do have a creative audigy card. Maybe I'll try disabling the card and enabling onboard sound and see if it helps.

Hmm... I'll try the february version of Direct X, mine is still the one that came with SP2 hehe. I'll report back in 8 hours :p. Going to work now.

Yes, I'm also going to try to update my video drivers and my DirectX version. I'l let you all know how it goes after I get home from the bank.

Most likely it has to do with a codec in /windows/system32

The codec is called *mpeg*.ac (replace the * with whatever). Once i installed a different codec pack with those files, i had no further crash.

Rich Tate said:
AC97 on board Codec here. Latest driver as well.
Right. That either eliminates it or means that there's more than one problem.
(The codec issues are worth trying, I guess.)

Any coincidense many of the guys with specs in there sigs have Nv cards? Maybe that new optimized driver needs more tweaking?

Zero crashes to the desktop ever with a AMD64 pushing 3GHz, an x1900XT, and Audigy 2ZS. Sometimes when i close the game there is some message. But never crashed to the desktop. I got 2x 7900GT's coming so I care.

ScYcS said:

The codec is called *mpeg*.ac (replace the * with whatever). Once i installed a different codec pack with those files, i had no further crash.
Which codec pack did you use?

And why would a video codec cause a game to crash that isn't playing a video? These crashes happen while I'm playing the game, those are rendered files not MPEG files or any other video file.

OH well... what pack did you use? Cause I'll give it a shot.

I don't have the name of the pack here at work, but i can find it at home. It was posted as a solution on the official forum and worked like a charm for me.

As you said, it makes no sense, but i think the codec in question is not video but sound related.

ScYcS said:
I don't have the name of the pack here at work, but i can find it at home. It was posted as a solution on the official forum and worked like a charm for me.

As you said, it makes no sense, but i think the codec in question is not video but sound related.
Ah, sound related, yeah that makes sense... Alright, I'll wait for the package name and I'll give it a shot, I'll post results..

I have had a few hardlocks maybe 4 or 5 but no CTD. I use the 84.25 drivers as well. They seem to be buggy anyway because my DVD playback is screwed (wmv, divx work fine).

Sometimes It will seem like I just got a hard lock but then in 2-3 seconds it will move again, this has also happend maybe 3 or 4 times to me total.

FIXED problem... Took away my overclock on my GPU and bam! everything is happy!

EDIT -- NEvermind... Just had a crash, but it was well after the spot I was at, I'd say I got 30 minutes out of my first fix ;)

DAMN!

EDIT: Well honestly it helped enough, havn't had a crash in over an hour... seems like the overclock on my GPU was doing Oblivion in

texuspete00 said:
Any coincidense many of the guys with specs in there sigs have Nv cards? Maybe that new optimized driver needs more tweaking?

Zero crashes to the desktop ever with a AMD64 pushing 3GHz, an x1900XT, and Audigy 2ZS. Sometimes when i close the game there is some message. But never crashed to the desktop. I got 2x 7900GT's coming so I care.

Fairly heavy crashes for two people I know with radeon 9700 and 9800-cards.
(Not for me, though, and I have a 9800 as well.)

It crashes every couple hours, and the game has a memory leak... Still fun, oh well. I save often.

Dangit! Crashes pretty often, kinda annoying, not sure I want to put up with it... Hope a fix comes out.

Gah.... now mine won't even start up. I think it might have been the Direct X install... *sigh*.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.. no go. Gonna try the codec pack.

In general the most common cause of this would be an underpowered power supply or a driver confilct. Does this only occur in Oblivion or other games as well? Oblivion has never CTD'd on my machine (though it does give me a memory error EVER TIME I exit the game, looks like a null pointer exception, real sloppy coding Bethesda...)

i fixed it! I went into the "my games" then oblivion, and deleted my configurations, game works flawlessly now! No more crashed, no more not starting up, wooot! :D

I haven't done any of the fixes yet and I've gone one full day without any crashes. I guess its the threat that I'm going to do the fixes that has made it work properly.

Its really unpredictable.

For some reason mine started crashing too. But it was just a specific location I was fast traveling to. I walked out of town and I was fine.

Does anyone else have their video settings (except for resolution) reset to whatever they were autodetected to when Oblivion CTD's? Mine only CTD's after several hours of play but when it does I have to go in and turn my video settings back up.

ScYcS said:

Guys, the fix for this is on the tech support boards for the game, ScYcs was hinting to it in his post, you need to rename some files and it will crash alot less, I crash maybe once a day now. It is def. a codec problem. I cant post a link because Im at work. Just look at the FAQ under the Tech Support, it explains everything you need to do.

Just so you know, this setting: bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1 which is one of the recommended .INI tweaks causes crashes for a lot of people. Simply change the 1 to a 0, and that should solve the crashing. (assuming you did the tweak in the first place)

Oblivion was running completely stable on my system (on XP64 no less) but when I did the above tweak I was getting crashes left and right. Switched it back, and it's been stable since.

Back