oblivion on high res, min RAM?

frankyk

Gawd
with a msi x1800xt, would 1 GB RAM PC 3200 be good enough? or should i go 2 GB? (of course more is better, but would i NEED to?), given that i will be attempting to run at 1280x1024 resolution with HDR on and everything possible to make the game very beautiful :D

I'm running Oblivion at 1600x1200 with a 6800GT with everything maxed (except zero shadows), 2xAA, Bloom lighting with only 1GB of RAM. I think you'll be fine.

ValeX said:
Heh. Well technically you only need 256mb of RAM, but would it play well? Only if you enjoy powerpoint presentations....the more the better, you are exactly right..it comes down to what its worth to you to have no more stuttering on loading each new area, quicker loading, etc etc etc....the more you pay, the more you get.....if you have lots of money from selling drugs or something, go buy 2 gigs of ram, if not, 1 gig will do you alright-ish for now....but you wont have "the best"....

ValeX

hah! i remember running everquest with 64 MB of RAM, it took 2-3 minutes to load a zone.

in oblivion, 'loading' new areas took 2-3 minutes if not a bit more with 256 MB RAM (i was trying to install some new RAM and it didn't snap in right i guess, so one stick wasn't working, hah), but with 512 MB, it seemed OK, i was just worried about the fact that since my resolution is so high now (i've been playing at 640x480), if it would cause the system to stumble

I'm running Oblivion on a X2 3800 with 1gb of ram and a GeForce 6600 256mb at 800x600 with all details on high execpt shadows and 2xAA w/ bloom and I'm getting 25-30 fps pretty steady. I do not notice any lag or down time in loading areas at all, the longest would be entering oblivion gates and even that is fairly quick. I say one gig is more then enough

although I am in the market to upgrade to a x1800xt within the next month (unless the x1900xtx drops in price so i can afford to get it and a new psu)

how do you find out what your FPS is in oblivion, is there a console command?

Back