Oblivion: Horrifying artifacts/screen glitches

poodlehead

n00b
Hey there. I'm about an hour into the game and all of the sudden I'm starting to see terrible artifacts. My whole screen will fill with crazy textures or sometimes turn black. This happens every time I load one of my save files and it's so bad it's making the game unplayable. Has anyone else had issues like this? I'm using a 7900gt with the latest beta forceware drivers. This happened with my last drivers as well. Thanks for reading.

My computer case has the side panel off right now because I recently built this computer and I'm too lazy to put it on. And my video card temperature seems to be sitting at around 45-50 degrees when I'm playing.

How are you getting those readings? Nvidia cards temps drop almost instantly once the 3D application is closed.

I know its not a driver issue since I haven't heard or seen any such issue.

I just assumed I could read it when i minimize the game. I guess in that case I'm not sure what temperature I'm getting. Thanks for the replies

If he has the side panel off, and it's still overheating. He must have a gateway to hell breathing fire into his PC.

I had a similar problem - when you looked in a certain direction the screen would artifact and go to rubbish.

This was being caused by the invisible/chameleon effect that some characters use.

I updated my drivers to the newest forceware beta release - and now the problem is gone.

Does it only happen when you look in a certain direction? - or are you artifacting no matter where you are looking in game.

It will start by me looking in a certain direction and there will be massive pillar like textures shooting up to infinite heights. Then I'll look around some more and there will be massive telephone wire-like textures shooting across the sky, and the more I start to move, my screen starts to fill with crazy blotches of stuff until I can't even see the game.

I've heard a lot of words used to describe artifacts, but "horrifying"? When you say that, it makes me think of only one thing.
horrifyingscreenshot3os.jpg

Hehe oh man.. That's gold.

Oh and an update:

I just installed Farcry and i get some funny flashy artifact/glitchy things when I look at water. I guess this would indicate that I do indeed need new drivers. This just seems kinda weird to me because I had the brand new ones and then I updated those to the beta drivers for forceware. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the replies.

And here I thought you were going to say Hillary Clinton.

finalgt said:
I've heard a lot of words used to describe artifacts, but "horrifying"? When you say that, it makes me think of only one thing.
horrifyingscreenshot3os.jpg

Hillary might give Jackson a run for his money in the insanity department, but there's something really comforting about being able to determine the gender of a person. Or is that, there's something really discomforting about not being able to determine the gender of a person?

[/offtopic]

finalgt said:
Hillary might give Jackson a run for his money in the insanity department, but there's something really comforting about being able to determine the gender of a person. Or is that, there's something really discomforting about not being able to determine the gender of a person?

[/offtopic]

Gender? I can't even tell his species anymore. He looks like Ari off of Planet of the Apes.
r12407_29764.jpg

poaari4.jpg

now why would a brothah want to go and make him(it?)self all white like that .. :confused:

..Billy Jean might not be his lover ... but little Billy just might be .. :(

errr, anyways .. make sure to uninstall old drivers thoroughly using add/remove proggies .. reboot and then dont reinstall new drivers , but rather run Driver Cleaner and then install new drivers.

if you still get glitches , then try down clocking your card to see if corruption still persist' ..if it goes away , then you have bad hardware ..or maybe just taking heatsink off of gpu , cleaning it up and reapplying some tim to it and re-mounting the gpu heatsink might "fix" it , if its your memory that is bad , then your basically screwed and time to RMA .. either way , if its a relatively new card and you dont want to risk voiding the warranty , just RMA it

[F]old|[H]ard

Back