nVidia Interview: Ujesh Desai

Mr. Desai even admitted the insane noise level of the first FX's was actually somewhat geared toward geeks [or someone like me] who used to compete for the loudest computer at LAN parties. This went too far, obviously.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

So the fact that it had an incredibly loud cooler was not a result of a terribly hot die running at insane clock speeds on a process it wasnt meant to. No sir! It was because they deliberately wanted to appeal to LAN gamers by making the loudest possible cooler!!!!

Ahahahahahaha!!!! That's possibly the stupidest thing I've heard an nvidia rep ever say, and that's really saying something!

I'm glad the interviewer didnt press him on that point, because then I might consider him a journalist.
edited spelling

no no no. they said that the loud fan was a bad thing. My buddy that was with me brought up his recent noise competitions at some LANS.

Originally posted by leukotriene

So the fact that it had an incredibly loud cooler was not a result of a terribly hot die running at insane clock speeds on a process it wasnt meant to. No sir!

Actually it wasnt. The core didnt need it, it was the ultra hot ram that needed it.

Actually it wasnt. The core didnt need it, it was the ultra hot ram that needed it.

So thats where the ultra name came about ay?ultra fuckin hot lmao:p j/k

*insert picture of Nvidia dropping the ball after gf 4 line* "oops" *gains 15% in money with stock from ATI* Ty Nvidia!

~Adam

reminded me that one line from "Final Destination 2" when they are cutting the chick out of the SUV with jaws of life:

"yes ma'm, let me just switch it to quiet mode"

that was just moments before the airbag exploded and shish-ka-bobed her head onto the piece of PVC pipe.

..."The Way It's Meant to be Played," which seems to be showing up on games left and right. nVidia wants to make sure people don't understand this as "Optimized for nVidia" or even "Only for nVidia."....[instead] This is their attempt at providing a "console-like" experience for gamers..."pop the CD in and grab the controller"
Half the APPEAL of having a really nice system is the ability to tweak it out and get better graphics and higher FPS than other people with the same hardware. I guess it's good I'm sticking to ATI then;)

Might as well buy a Dell with AOL preinstalled if you don't want to mess with your settings...

no no no. they said that the loud fan was a bad thing. My buddy that was with me brought up his recent noise competitions at some LANS.

Judging by the quote, it sure doesnt sound like that.
Once again we shall review:
"Mr. Desai even admitted the insane noise level of the first FX's was actually somewhat geared toward geeks [or someone like me] who used to compete for the loudest computer at LAN parties. This went too far, obviously."

So the "insane noise was geared toward geeks who compete for the loudest computer". That certainly does not sound like what you are saying at all, which is a negative statement

Please, reference the claim that the core was cool running - we know the RAM was hot, because it had to be clocked insanely high in order to attempt to make up for the sad 128 bit memory bus. We know the core was put out on the standard process rather than the low-k dielectric variant, and we know the clock speed was very high and the power draw was quite significant.

Originally posted by leukotriene
Please, reference the claim that the core was cool running - we know the RAM was hot, because it had to be clocked insanely high in order to attempt to make up for the sad 128 bit memory bus. We know the core was put out on the standard process rather than the low-k dielectric variant, and we know the clock speed was very high and the power draw was quite significant.

Its pretty common knowledge that the ram is primarily what needed it, with DDR2, not the core. Dont believe me? Go look. :eek:

Originally posted by fallguy
Its pretty common knowledge that the ram is what needed it, with DDR2, not the core. Dont believe me? Go look. :eek:

Yep, IIRC It was both... but mainly the super duper DDR2 1000mhz RAM :p. I believe they lowered the core frequency from 500mhz on the 5800U's to 450mhz on the 5900U's because of heat issues. I'm pretty sure I saw something about this in a review, but I could be wrong.

IIRC It was both...
Thats what I recall as well, but apprently I'm wrong!
Apparently the lack of low-k and the heavy current draw combined with the high clock speeds mean nothing, and it could have easily run fanless if it wasnt for the RAM! :D

Back