Not sure...

Ok, well I'm having a problem, and it's really frustrating.

I went to a little LAN a few months ago, and I don't have the greatest cooling, and I accidentally kept my PC overclocked, and it over heated, and the CPU died on me, or so I thought, because I had an 8RDA+ with a 2400+ in it. I went to clean the heatsink out because it was dusty when I got home, and I put it back in, and it boots up for about 30 seconds, and it shuts off... So for about 30 minutes of doing everything I possibly can, I put my old 1800+ in it, it does the same thing. I couldnt even change the BIOS or it would shut down in the process or changing it. So I switch to my older motherboard, some old shuttle that supports the 1800+. And it works just fine. So I figure, my motherboard went. So I get a new motherboard (Abit NF7-S) slap in my 2400+... Boots up for about 30 seconds and dies. So, I ordered a 2500+ XP-Mobile and I just got it today, also ordered some Value Series Corsair PC3200 (2.5 CAS) and I turn it on, turns on for about 5 seconds, and shuts off. It's really frustrating me, and since money is really tight, I don't have enough money to just go out and buy a 50 dollar 350W name brand PSU. I have a generic 500W PSU in here. So, it has to be my power supply, any suggestions on what else may be wrong or suggestions on decent and cheap power supplies? Anyone have a spare one that I could possibly buy off them? ANYTHING :p Thanks.

Oh, BTW...
I'm running on my 1800+ now, with my Abit NF7-S, my PC3200 RAM, 2x120 Western Digital HDD's, Lite-On DVD Burner, Lite-On CD Burner, floppy of course & Radeon 9500 @ 9700 (Softmodded), with my generic 500W PSU.

i don't have an extra at the moment, but i'd suggest looking in the FS/FT forum. i'm sure someone has one.

you could also sell or trade some of your extra hardware for a PSU.

also, it's VERY difficult to fry an XP by overheating. it takes quite a bit of work.

Yeah, I didn't think I fried it just like that, because it wasn't under extreme heat for all that long, I had it set to shut down if it were to go past a certain point. I may just go get another cheap 550W - 600W Generic for the time being. I went job searching yesterday, so hopefully someone calls me back. :p

SillyHalfMexican said:
Yeah, I didn't think I fried it just like that, because it wasn't under extreme heat for all that long, I had it set to shut down if it were to go past a certain point. I may just go get another cheap 550W - 600W Generic for the time being. I went job searching yesterday, so hopefully someone calls me back. :p
Why get a junk 500watter when you can get a fortron/sparkle FSP series 350w (maxes at over 450w) for only $30 and change. I believe that its the dual fan model thats underrated at 350w (450w max), somebody will have to back me up on this one.

so youve invested $85 or so in a new mobo? to fix this problem
but the power supply doesnt warrant a similar investment?
or even half as much?

SJetski71 said:
Why get a junk 500watter when you can get a fortron/sparkle FSP series 350w (maxes at over 450w) for only $30 and change. I believe that its the dual fan model thats underrated at 350w (450w max), somebody will have to back me up on this one.

i agree, i used to have a 350w Sparkle that put my 430w Enermax to shame in terms of stability of the rails.

Ice Czar said:
so youve invested $85 or so in a new mobo? to fix this problem
but the power supply doesnt warrant a similar investment?
or even half as much?

I spent $90 on a motherboard, and $170 on the XP-Mobile and PC3200 RAM. Never figured it was the power supply since it's running on this 1800+ rig now... And it hasn't crapped out on me yet, only craps out on me when I put in the 2400+ or the 2500+ XP-M.

always a good idea to invest in high quality infrastructure ;)
the power supply is the one component in your system most likley to fry the rest
from that perspective...

SJetski71 said:

Hrmm, where can I get one for 30 dollars? Only place I could find it for sale is selling for 73 dollars...

newegg I think is $37? several available models different price points

Back