Not enuff JUICE !!!!

Emre

Weaksauce
LoL

So I hooked up my new 9800PRO, running 3dmark03.. In nature demo just during the most demanding scene, my hard drive started clicking constantly and it wasnt funny i tell you

I guess thats what happens when you run
P4 2.4B + 1GB PC3200
2 x 120GB WD SE
1 x 200 GB WD sata
1 x 80 GB WD SE
1 x 60 GB Maxtor
1 x Pioneer 106 dvdrw
2 x 80mm case fans
1 x HD cooler with 2 fans

This is my PS btw
11-125-272-02.JPG

I guess I'll just disconnect a couple hard drives when im not video editing and wanting to play a game, untill i get a new PS

Also, I guess i should prolly get a TruePower series PS, what power would you suggest ?

hard drives click because of psus? maybe i should plug my clicking hard drive back in now that i got a new psu ;x

didnt know that.

18A on the +12V rail is a bit light for a 420W PSU esp when you have 6 devices being powered off it. >_<

A 550W (even an inexpensive one) will give you over 30A on the 12V rail.

Hi,

Looking at your system vs my system, I'm baffle why you have that problem.

If the lazy people don't want to read my sig, here it is :p
(4) Harddrives
(2) Optical Drives
(1) 9700pro
(5) 80mm fans
(1) 92mm fan
(1) Cathode light
(1 ) Overclocked system. CPU + Mem volts = maxed.

All powered by a Raidmax 350w PSU. It's a good little PSU which served me well for over 2years. My system is mostly on 24/7 and the only problem I had with the PSU was a bad fan.

For your problem, have you tried unplugging one of the harddrives, and running 3dmark again and see if the problem comes up. Did you have a multi-meter and checked the voltages? You got to do some testing before you go out and get a new PSU because what if it's not a PSU problem? You will have a brand new PSU but still the same problem. Just my opinion.

-Thanks

hard drives click because of psus? maybe i should plug my clicking hard drive back in now that i got a new psu ;x

Wow, you must be a real smart bloke to make that comment, nice little constructive post too..
I was not talking about an occasional click.. I said "constant clicking" ... like 2 loud clicks every second.. and i could tell the drive was slowing down and trying to speed up again

Anyways, back to the issue

Ive never had a clicking problem like this before.. I removed 2 hard drives and ran 3dmark03 and no problems, and no I wish i had a multi meter to test the voltages

Im a little worried about testing again with fullload to see if the clicking will occur again, I'd hate to lose any data

420w sounds fine for what your running but the amp on the 12v rail suck. I'd start looking for a new PSU and when you look make sure your getting more than 20A on the 12v rail. You don't really need to pay attention to what kind of amperages you are getting on the other rails because they're both going to be more than what the 12v rail is. Make sure you get a PSU from a reliable company. Antec, enermax, etc.

Originally posted by Badger_sly
Here's a suggestion of a great 500 watt dual fan PS, that doesn't cost much, but performs as good as the expensive/overpriced brands:
http://store.yahoo.com/akidacomputer/acpowsup50du.html

A good review, with voltage tests:
http://www.techimo.com/articles/i145.html

I've installed 3 of them in different systems so far, and they run perfect, even pulls a lot of air out of the cases (lowered case temp 5 degrees F, as a surprise bonus).
mmm that psu is looking mighty tasty right now

im on the same raidmax 350w that the other person posted about. why do people say raidmax sucks?

I ALWAYS run Antec Truepowers in my systems...I don't think I am going to be replacing them anytime soon...

seeing as how you have 5 harddrives its likely that one is just dying as sad as that is. But it happens. I would find which one it is and back it up NOW and then rma it quickly.

Originally posted by rally9x
seeing as how you have 5 harddrives its likely that one is just dying as sad as that is. But it happens. I would find which one it is and back it up NOW and then rma it quickly.

when you say "clicking" it makes me think of dying HD also

Originally posted by sev
A 550W (even an inexpensive one) will give you over 30A on the 12V rail.
Thats a major number fudging job. When a no-name psu advertises a high 12v rail rating its one of two thing.

1) they may be falsely advertising it outright or
2) they are likely testing the +12v while the other rails are NOT under load. If you jack up the load on the +3v and +5v while testing the +12v, you'll quickly watch its rating drop to 16-18va in no time.

Once again i'll refer to ice czar's thread and the review he links to. You'll see how even some "name brand" psu's don't cut it, forget about the lower quality lesser known garbage http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=702661

Back