Nostromo SpeedPad N52

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone here use one? Have any opinions? I'm looking to purchase a gaming keyboard and came across this. It looks very interesting. I think the new model is the N52te?

base_media

Last edited:
I have used the earlier version of that, the Microsoft Strategic Commander, and the Ideazon/SteelSeries Fang. Out of the 3 I really prefer the Fang. The SpeedPad is comfortable to use. The wrist rest is adjustable to some extent. I did find the buttons to be a little stiff, but that could just be because I had a gen 1 model. Once you get used to using gaming pad of what ever flavour they can be very helpful, but there is a learning curve with them.

I see a lot of views on this thread but only one reply which leads me to believe this is a hot item that a lot of FPS gamers use and don't want to talk about in hopes no one else will buy it.

Amiright?

I have the original n52 (not the te revision) and don't like the feel of the keys for the hour or so I tried using it. A little too stiff for my tastes. The TE keys feel a little better when I tried them at the store, but I think I'll stick with keyboard.

I loved my original N52 but I moved on to the Logitech G13 because it has more buttons and more up-to-date software. These keypads work great with any type of game unless you need a ton of shortcuts, at a moment's notice, like in a MMO.

I used the N52 and then moved to the G13. I can't game on a regular keyboard anymore since it feels un-natural.

I have the N52(not TE) and love it. I play wow with it and it's made me so much faster. My only problem is in Win 7 when it comes out of sleep the pad won't work and I have to reboot. Belkin is not updating drivers for it either.

And for some reason I can't use it for shooters. It just doesn't feel right. But in WoW I couldn't play without it.

i have an n52te. i bought it for tf2, but my hand isn't big enough to reach the spacebar with my thumb. however, my main gripe is that it doesn't have enough keys. the default position is to have wasd at the top center, leaving no keys on top for weapons (where 1-5 usually are).

however, for online rpgs like wow or aion or whatever you like to play, it's great because of the software. seriously the software is top notch. takes a while to get used to, but that's only because you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want with it.

so whether or not to get it depends on what type of games you like to play. for shooter's it's probably not the best choice, and you'd be better off with a ideazon fang. for mmos, it's tough to beat. can't think of anything better.

the logitech g13 may be better because it has more keys, but i didn't like the way the keys felt on it. it has the same keys as the g2 g15, so if you are okay with the feel of those keys, then the g13 will probably be better than the n52te for you.

i got an older version for free... used it once and its been living in the back of the closet ever since. looks neat tho

I have the te. I prefer the first generation one to be honest. Picked it up a long time ago for Lineage 2. Got the second one for WoW, and just found the keys to be too firm, and awkward. A few more buttons would have been nicer, and I still haven't found use for the actual movement pad.

I had the regular N52 model, I love how the keys are lined up like a grid unlike a regular keyboard, but the orange thumb button was almost impossible to press. It was as if it had 8 times the tension it should of had so I couldn't ever move well and be able to press that button at the same time.

I have the TE. It's nice, but suffers from not having enough buttons and buggy software. It's still nice and I used it a lot in Age of Conan.

I have the n52te, I like it, but find that I don't use it too much anymore. I'm very lazy, and get sick of always having to create profiles for each game. I have also had some issues w/ it not auto switching to the correct profile depending on which game I want to play, and wind up having to manually change the profile.

I've heard that the software for the first version is better, but don't really know. I also find that setting up macros on the TE is a pain.

I think it is very comfortable using, though, and am glad I own it.

I leave the profile of the n52 the same at all times. I just customize the keys in each game. I find it works better that way.

It seems the competition is really between the Belkin n52TE or Logitech G13.

I have the n52TE and love it. I had thought about getting a G13, however there is one big obstacle for me. I don't like the joystick on the G13. The n52TE has a joystick like top, but you can remove that an you have a regular d-pad under it, and I really love that d-pad.

I've been looking into buying one. If I end up picking one up before this thread dies, I'll let you know what I think of it. My impression is that it's a pretty good quality gamepad, since most people's negative reviews were about it not feeling right for them (understandable since they're switching away from QWERTY for the first time).

I can tell you that finding a gamepad you love will completely change your game. I've been using a Wolf King warrior for two years, and I can't function without it. It didn't suddenly make me better or anything, but it made gaming more comfortable, and probably helped me improve more in the long run. Getting used to it wasn't a problem. I use it constantly - in fact, the reason I'm shopping for a new one is that I've now worn through the chrome plated plastic guard ring and into the plastic housing with my wrist - by the end of the year you'll probably be able to see the membrane and PCB down in the bottom of the thing.

I have the original N52, The keys are very much stiff, in addition to having a somewhat awkward throw. The button on top of the DPAD is a bit odd too. Overall, however, I find it great. I don't really ever use it in FPS's, but in MMO's it works pretty well. Also rather insane to use with my Flightstick in Evochron Legends =).

Most people who have them, love em. If anyone wants to purchase a Tournament Edition used, I'm selling one. Check out my FS thread. The only reason I'm moving away from it is that for my uses, a G13 is more my speed.

i've had one for the longest time now, bought it back in the bf:veitnam era and still use it occasionally to this day.

I have the N52(not TE) and love it. I play wow with it and it's made me so much faster. My only problem is in Win 7 when it comes out of sleep the pad won't work and I have to reboot. Belkin is not updating drivers for it either.

And for some reason I can't use it for shooters. It just doesn't feel right. But in WoW I couldn't play without it.

I have the same problem but you don't need to reboot. Just unplug the usb cable and plug it back in.

i've had one for the longest time now, bought it back in the bf:veitnam era and still use it occasionally to this day.

I started using the original orange n52 for Delta Force BHD. I never game without it now. I moved up to the TE but I didn't like how they changed the d-pad to a raised unbrella type button. I then handed those 2 down to friends and got a G13. I am so used the the 5 button wide feel of the n52 that the 7 button wide G13 takes some getting used to, I even disabled the two end buttons so I could arrange my buttons to a 5 wide config. Other that, you cannot go wrong with either one of these. Great devices for gaming.

woah, when I first read that I skipped the "bf:" part by accident, thought you bought it back in the vietnam WAR era <grin>.

Got a chance to see one in person at best buy the other day - it's quite comfortable and the buttons feel good; though it wasn't plugged in so I couldn't test it on anything.

I like my N52. My only problem (and maybe Blizzard fixed it since) was you couldn't use the hat as a true multidirectional device in WOW. It worked but i couldn't move and strafe simultaneously and setting the driver to interpolate made the game kick me out (thought I was a bot I guess). In WoW everything had to be a ASCIIish key and not just a generic button.

The other downside is that trying to type in chat and play at the same time becomes difficult when your hand is away from the keyboard. Sometimes you just need to YELL.

I like my N52. My only problem (and maybe Blizzard fixed it since) was you couldn't use the hat as a true multidirectional device in WOW. It worked but i couldn't move and strafe simultaneously and setting the driver to interpolate made the game kick me out (thought I was a bot I guess). In WoW everything had to be a ASCIIish key and not just a generic button.

The other downside is that trying to type in chat and play at the same time becomes difficult when your hand is away from the keyboard. Sometimes you just need to YELL.

I set my D pad to the arrow keys, and the left and right arrow to strafe. Between that d pad and my mouse I can run circles around people.

I set my D pad to the arrow keys, and the left and right arrow to strafe. Between that d pad and my mouse I can run circles around people.

Yeah but could you move diaganolly like you can with WASD? Thats the only thing that kep it from being perfect.

Back