Non Gamer - what mouse + keyboard to get?

adamj023

Limp Gawd
Hi, I am a non gamer and now have a Dell USB keyboard and a Logitech MX500 mouse which I really liked but it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on the USB port every so often.

The Dell Keyboard is starting to break and the keys are all worn. So I am looking for a replacement for both the keyboard and the mouse.

I am concerned about if I should go wireless or not because I have heard that wireless keyboards are prone to hacking.

There is a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Laser 6000 v3 on sale at staples for $29.99 today online and I was considering it, but it mentions no encryption in the manual or in the specifications considering it uses the 2.4Ghz band.

So Im wondering if I should be concerned or what mouse and keyboard I should be getting?

I like the MX500 because of the nice usability with the buttons and the significant feel to the mouse so while I may not get a Logitech the next time around, I want similar feel and functionality as good as or better which includes 2 left thumb buttons, a scroll wheel with button, front and back scroll buttons or improved functionality, and the other button it has on top. Laser vs optical shouldn't matter for a non gamer.

The $29.99 price of the Windows 6000 v3 seems attractive but I have heard issues with the wireless feature plus Im concerned about security so Im looking for what recommendations of models I should be looking at. I don't like entry level basic mouses.

The keyboard I have is a stock Dell USB keyboard, but I wish it had a little more functionality and wouldnt have worn so easily on the top of the keys and the bottom pads are coming off.

Recommendations are welcome. After I figure out what to get, Ill shop it and see where I can get it at the best price.

Thanks.

if you like the mx500 mouse then you will love the mx518 :) it fits all your requirements (buttons etc)

and do you need a wireless setup? if not then im pretty sure any ole generic kb would do the trick.

why not look at something like a logitech media elite?

The MX518 is the #1 selling mouse on Amazon and is sold out at other sites. I take it, this is still the best functionality wise even if I don't game?

The Gigabyte line of mouses seemed to be similar for less money and the newer Logitech models seem to have nicer functionality. I am not sure how Gigabyte and other brands or newer mouses perform.

So I take it, wireless is bad security wise and I don't need laser for a non gamer and Im better off passing up on the Microsoft keyboard deal?

Since your not a gamer it should be a lot easier to come up with something. I'd go to Newegg and sort them by "Best Rating" and "most reviews" and pick one you like.

i really dont think you have anything to worry about with a wireless mouse+kb setup. they are just input devices.The only wireless security risk I can think of is wireless internet not being secure. The mx518 is the best mouse i have owned/used period. I have used a *lot* of mice trying to find the perfect gaming mouse and the mx518 is it. If it is perfect for a fussy gamer that has spent $100's looking for the perfect mouse, then it will be perfect for a non-gamer. Oh, and the fact that it shares the same design as the mx500 would help you as you are already familar with buttons and button layout.

and tbh, it might pay for you to trawl a few shops looking at keyboards til you find something you like the look of.

MX518 is nice but the newer mouses have more scroll functionality for non gamers I hear?

My MX500 didn't last too long, while I had an older labtec mouse which is older for ps/2 which was rock solid and was built like a tank and is still working fine even today which was optical. It is really really old and was heavily used.

So while MX518 may have good performance, I am worried about longevity. I read other complaints about it breaking down and I think the MX518 is made the same way the MX500 was.

So Im looking at alternative brands and models with excellent usability. Not sure what Labtec models they have today if any and how those compare or other brands. I know the MX518 is the most popular, in fact when I got this MX500 it was an awesome mouse except for the fact that it broke and wore quite fast.

The Logitech Media Elite keyboard was discontinued. I need a keyboard with "Scroll Lock" and I am looking for audio controls in addition to the basics.

The Microsoft Curve 2000 seems like its a slightly improved version over what I have now.

I would buy the Microsoft and I do think wireless is a nice functionality to have. My problem is that without encryption anyone can spoof the packets instantaneously. If it had AES 128 bit encryption I wouldn't have a problem. 40 bit encryption would take 13 days to hack.

So if anyone can tell me if the Microsoft Wireless Laser 6000 has encryption, let me know.

Logitech wireless keyboards do claim encryption on the higher end models. With Microsoft, there is no mention of such. If it doesn't say so, I assume it is unsecure.

Ok I found it:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...-encryption-easily-broken-say-researchers.ars

Seems like the Microsoft keyboards are not good for security at all and Logitech also could be problematic. This leaves wired as the only real solution.

Last edited:
do you type frequently, and for long periods at a time? Yes? Get a mechanical keyboard. No? Get some cheap piece of crap.

A keyboard should only cost a few dollars. It is a cheap piece of plastic with lights and buttons. Plus most keyboards are on the market for years. Case in point: Microsoft Curve 2000 Keyboard has been out since 2005 and has not seen any changes.

I think even $12.95 for these keyboards (which is the cheapest price on them mail order) is priced too high.

I remember keyboard deals for free after rebate from CompUSA but I don't see those anymore.

I may have to bite the bullet and just get it for $12.95.

Back