Nomad Zen Xtra $219

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
So anyways i saw the ipod thing for $269 or something and some one listed this little guy. Well went to best buy today and they have them on clearance

30 gig $219
40 gig $250

These things are sweet. You can use them as a portable hd (have to have the creative shell on the pc its connected to) and unlike 99% of the player out there, you can send your songs to the hd. Yes thats right, your songs are not gone forever once they are on this player. DId i mention that Its got eax with a neat feature that makes all your songs play at the same bas volume level?

If you wanta be cruel you can price match to CC and squeeze another 5-10 bucks out.

Originally posted by nightanole
So anyways i saw the ipod thing for $269 or something and some one listed this little guy. Well went to best buy today and they have them on clearance

30 gig $219
40 gig $250

These things are sweet. You can use them as a portable hd (have to have the creative shell on the pc its connected to) and unlike 99% of the player out there, you can send your songs to the hd. Yes thats right, your songs are not gone forever once they are on this player. DId i mention that Its got eax with a neat feature that makes all your songs play at the same bas volume level?

If you wanta be cruel you can price match to CC and squeeze another 5-10 bucks out.

What do you mean by "gone forever"? You can alter the volume/EQ settings for songs on all HDD-based mp3 players. Also, look at the iRiver - just look at it - don't buy it, as you already seem to be happy with your (much cheaper) Zen.

too bad the iRiver costs $330+ for only a 20gb version.

They don't have a 30gb or a 40gb for less than $300 like the Zen does.

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
You can alter the volume/EQ settings for songs on all HDD-based mp3 players.

I think he meant the EAX feature. As in you can tweak the song to sound like it's played in a certain place such as bathroom, living room, cave... etc... But you are right, volume/EQ are available on almost all other HDD based mp3 players.

To be honest, I don't think EAX is such a great feature.... I personally owned a Nomad Jukebox with that feature before... never used it, except for kicks when with friends so we can laugh over it...

Originally posted by nightanole
Well went to best buy today and they have them on clearance
I'm assuming you went in store to pick this up? I might have to take a trip tomorrow...pretty hot deal...

no he doesn't mean just adjust the volume and eq. I believe hes talking about a auto volume adjust that keeps all of your songs at the same level so the volume doesn't go up or down between songs which can happen when you have differntly encoded songs or from just differntly mixed cd's. This is a sweet deal though.

How do you get CC to price match if its not in an ad? will they call the BB store? I always figured it had to be advertised. Do you need to talk to a manager?

Originally posted by rally9x
no he doesn't mean just adjust the volume and eq. I believe hes talking about a auto volume adjust that keeps all of your songs at the same level so the volume doesn't go up or down between songs which can happen when you have differntly encoded songs or from just differntly mixed cd's. This is a sweet deal though.

How do you get CC to price match if its not in an ad? will they call the BB store? I always figured it had to be advertised. Do you need to talk to a manager?

Ya hit the nail on the head.

This is a clearance sale though. But a printout from best buy dot com and a list of all the stores that have it in stock might make for a good arguement. It doesnt say clearance on the web.

you can get an ipod at the same price at buy.com after coupons.

a 30 gig one? without a big apple symbol on it? with a decent battery? I doubt all of these.

I've got a Zen Xtra and love it. It doesn't do AAC but frankly I couldn't care about that. I did a lot of research before getting mine in October and it's got the best bang for the buck. It's got a 14 hour battery, 5 band EQ, USB 2.0, plenty of file storage for anything (great for taking home files for work at home) and a huge display.

It's also highly hackable if wanted. You could slip in a larger hardrive if needed and you're not tied into a particular music service. With an iPod, you're paying an extra $100 for the name really. I'd get a Zen over a iPod anyday.

Originally posted by Torgo
I've got a Zen Xtra and love it. It doesn't do AAC but frankly I couldn't care about that. I did a lot of research before getting mine in October and it's got the best bang for the buck. It's got a 14 hour battery, 5 band EQ, USB 2.0, plenty of file storage for anything (great for taking home files for work at home) and a huge display.

It's also highly hackable if wanted. You could slip in a larger hardrive if needed and you're not tied into a particular music service. With an iPod, you're paying an extra $100 for the name really. I'd get a Zen over a iPod anyday.

my words exactly

Got one for x-mas and love it to death

So, I got one for christmas, but within two weeks (literally) the headphone jack fucked itself.

I returned it, and I'm going to get an A70.

I loved it, but I realized that my CD player is fine. And it feels weird to listen to my MP3 playlist away from my computer.

picked the 40gb model up today. The first store didnt have any and the second store only had one left. I'm a happy boy now :)

quite honesly I like the flash players because the only time I use headphones (beside travel duh) is when I work out or jog. I got a NOMAD MuVo NX 256meg player.. It's got good strong output. It uses a AAA so I can use my 700 NiMH's and not have to worry about Litiem Ion battery replacement after 3 years. Only real problem I've had with it is some wmv files won't play right, though I haven't updated the firmware. It does MP3 great and the menu system is functional with a nice back light. Has an easy to adjust EQ. the fact that it also a 256meg USB solid state HD is nice :) They give you two battery modules, one black, one blue.

Things I don't like about it.. 1 700 NiMH AAA only lasts 7-8 hours depending on volume level (but hell, it's tiny.) Problems with some wmv files. Plays everything in the order of 1-Z not where the files were in the folder so albums are all ranomized unless you change the names with a 1 2 3 4 5 etc. It is so small and light one could easily loose it. The earbuds I threw away, junk.

BB had em a week are so after X-Mas for $129 after MIR.

Originally posted by matt fury
A brick. :D

well... that's sort of over exageration.... but yes, when the iPod is placed next to the Zen... the Zen does have a very clunky, bulky look to it...

i just pick up one for myself, I had to say this thing is pretty sweet... and yes CC does to price matching ... *hee I bought mine from CC since Bestbuy was out stock*

The Zen is a handy little player. As soon as Creative makes it look a little cooler and shrinks it down a tad, they'll have a new customer. The iRiver and iPod are both overpriced - the two friends with the iPod 40s both paid well in excess of 540 with the 2yr extended warranty. The thing is though...I would seriously pay a hundred dollar premium for the iPod over any other player (but not ~280 as it comes out being) because it does have such an excellent interface. Unfortunately, the remote is worthless. Many quibbles exist with all these players. None are perfect and most are too expensive.

Zan is definitly better than the Ipod... I have a friend with a 10gb Ipod, and a friend with the 30gb Zen. There is no difference except the Zen is SLIGHTY larger. Its superior in ever way possible. The battery can be replaced easily. Zen > Ipod.

heh, if you think the Zen is like a brick, you should see my Archos Jukebox :) Its big, but it was cheap as far as mp3 players go when i bought it last year.

the new arcos has an lcd screen an it plays video which is insane. the zen does look like silver brick compared to the slick ipod and you can feel the hd spining in it , the ipod is slick and if i was a rich man i would definitley buy it over the zen but as of now im considering the zen. the sad thing is though that for 250 i could build a small computer and wire up the psone lcd but it would still be huge compared these machines. it seems like a lot of money for a lot of over priced stuff.

Back