Nice quiet low-profile GPU

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my findings on the MSI GTX 1050 ti LP. Something that struck me about this card when I took off the fan shroud for paint was the nice, sizeable anodized heatsink. The Raijintek Metis case that I modded places a nice strong intake of ambient air directed right at the GPU, so I thought I'd try "passively" cooling this card, leaving the fan shroud (and fans) off entirely.

IMG_20171124_205655847.jpg

After a couple hours of Valley on a loop, pushing the card to it's max on stock clocks, it settled in at about 65c.

That's not an altogether amazing number, but it's absolutely serviceable given the huge reduction in noise by nixing those two tiny fans.

If you're planning a smaller build, and are in a case with airflow directed at the GPU (or a case that you can mod as such,) the MSI low-profile card makes itself a pretty good option for quiet performance.

In almost all ITX cases two 80mm fans can easily replace those fans. They won't fit on a mATX or bigger board but the LP bracket from top to bottom is already 80mm so unless the case is insanely tight, 80mm should fit -- potentially part of it besides the motherboard.

At least Evercool (and something called Gdstime) sells 80mm x 10mm. If 15mm fans fit (they should) then Noiseblocker has a 80mm x 15mm ultra silent PWM fan, possibly the best for this use case.

Last edited:
Interesting. I recently sent that graphics card back because (with the fans) it was fucking unbearable. Never thought to try it without them.

Interesting. I recently sent that graphics card back because (with the fans) it was fucking unbearable. Never thought to try it without them.
It's pretty dang noisy, and the 40% minimum lock is irritating as heck. Without the fans and in a well-vented case though, it's silent 1080p magic!

Back