Newegg Sapphire 9800 Pro 256MB DDR2 worth getting?

Celorfin

n00b
Saw this on Newegg. The OEM one is only $338! The shortcoming is that it seems to come with no accessories.

My questions is, does DDR2 offer any performance boost over regular DDR? If not, I think I'm gonna get the DDR version at the same price cause it comes with accessories.

BTW, the cooler on DDR2 version looks kinda ghetto :p

Originally posted by Celorfin
Saw this on Newegg. The OEM one is only $338! The shortcoming is that it seems to come with no accessories.

My questions is, does DDR2 offer any performance boost over regular DDR? If not, I think I'm gonna get the DDR version at the same price cause it comes with accessories.

BTW, the cooler on DDR2 version looks kinda ghetto :p

well i'd get the DDR2 version. you can easily get accessories if you want them later on (like DVI adapter and S-Video adapter)

Wow DDR2, I wonder if it offers any benefit from regular DDR.....this is really odd that Sapphire is a making a card thats not standard components.

Anyone think it will overclock more?

looks like its on the 9800XT pcb, but i could be wrong. and id replace that cooler with the vga silencer and some nice copper ramsinks.

and btw, all 9800Pro 256MB's have DDR2.
all other 9800's, including the 9800XT, have normal DDR.

from what i heard the ddr2 has slightly higher latencies and runs hotter than standard ddr, which is the reason for the ramsinks on the 256mb cards.

That being said, if you got the cash i say go for it. ;)

Originally posted by Nidrav

and btw, all 9800Pro 256MB's have DDR2.
all other 9800's, including the 9800XT, have normal DDR.

You sure about that? When I looked at the details of some of those 256MB cards (Asus for example), it showed normal DDR.

The only companies that put ddr2 on their 9800pro are HIS and Sapphire.. Ive heard exceptional things about HIS's card... OCs are above 9800xt stock speed i think.
Search in Tweaknews for the review (too lazy to put the link...)

as far as i remember the headroom for memory overclocking with ddr2 cards is less so I would go w/ ddr 1 ram and some accessories.. plus that cooler sure is worthless.. be prepared to shell out some 30 bucks for a vga silencer or some other cooler!

and I am certain that ddr2 runs hotter than normal ddr and has higher latencies.. no wonder the 256 mb 9800 pro wasn't that big of a HIT card.. like 9800 pro 128, and 9800XT!

Originally posted by chinoquezada
The only companies that put ddr2 on their 9800pro are HIS and Sapphire.. Ive heard exceptional things about HIS's card... OCs are above 9800xt stock speed i think.
Search in Tweaknews for the review (too lazy to put the link...)
ATI sez the 9800 pro 256 comes w/DDR2. I'd assume some companies cheap out and use DDR1.

accually i saw someone on here who had a 9800 that had that cooler on it, from this forum he got some really good oc's if i remember correctly. dunno if it was ddr2 or normal ddr but it was really good and it had that hsf on it

I asked about that card a week ago and got a response that it OCs fairly well with the stock cooling. It is a bit bizarre, but I have one myself and so far so good.

It really does have a lovely mirror finish. :rolleyes:

Back