NewEgg.com will STEAL YOUR MONEY! LOOK!

So I bought a stick of ram from NewEgg.com and had to RMA it because it was flakey... I sent it back and they are going to keep it, AND keep my money. Here is the letter I wrote to them:

Hi, here is the problem:

I ordered a ram stick Model#: CMX512-2700C2PT on Invoice #xxxx (Sales Order Number:xxxx)

After about a week of receiving it, I determined it to be defective, and obtained an RMA number for it, and sent it back in for exchange. My RMA number is xxxx.

After over a week of sending it back to you, I didn't hear anything concerning my exchange, so I called your 800 customer support number. I was told that the serial number on the item I sent in for RMA did not match the serial number on the item you sent me originally. To my astonishment, I was basically told I was at fault and was SOL.

Here is what I believe has happened. Instead of sending me Model #CMX512-2700C2PT, NewEgg sent me Model #CMX512-2700C2. These are the exact same memory sticks except the PT (Stands for Platinum) item has a platinum silver heat spreader, and the non-PT item has a black heat spreader. I recall the stick you sent me had a black heat spreader, although I didn't realize it was not what I ordered at the time.

Here is how we can PROVE the situation: Simply compare the serial number of the item you scanned and shipped out to me with the Model number it belongs to. You will find that it belongs to Model #CMX512-2700C2, which does NOT match the Model number on my invoice. YOU SENT ME THE WRONG MEMORY STICK!

I have been without the RAM that I paid in full to you now since June 21st 2004. I have spent far too much of my time figuring out YOUR mistake. I would like you to expedite shipping on the correct item that I paid for. This was a huge error on NewEgg's part, not just for the item mix-up, but for the lack of investigation on the matter. I, the customer, had to figure out where you screwed up just so I wouldn't be ripped off, screwed out of my hard earned $126.00 with nothing to show for it but a slap in the face and a few snide remarks from your customer service.

(On another possibility... track the serial number of the ram stick I sent back to you and see where it should be. You may find that your computer tells you it was never even shipped to me and should still be in your storage somewhere.)

So anyway, I sit here writing this still with no Ram stick and no $126.00. I sent them the same ram they sent me... could not possibly have been a mistake on my end... I only had 3 sticks in my house, 2 256mb sticks, and the 512mb stick I sent back... and I have the 2 256meg sticks in my system right now. WOW DID THEY SCREW ME UP THE ARSE!

What can I do about this??

maybe you should have ended it a bit nicer though lol.. they might get pissed for that letter.. remember you're better off catching flys with honey than with vinegar.. sorry to hear what happened man...

True, but weather or not I was nice, they are still breaking the law! They are stealing from me! OMG I'm pissed off.

listen dude, i may be a stupid newbie and all, but newegg HAS got 85,000 positive customer reviews. continue to pester them (but don't be rude) until they refund your money. it's ridiculous that they would send you the wrong piece of fucking hardware and then not take responsibility for it. do not let them take your money whatever you do.

What law are they breaking? The law that you can't make a mistake in shipping and not just take a customer's word for it without properly researching it? Give them a chance to make it right and they will.

Look, if they really are doing everything wrong you say they are, and you are sure this is not your fault, if you paid with a major credit card, call the CC company and tell them. They will help you interact with newegg, and usually, when you get a CC company involved, the problem gets resolved... either you somehow get your money back, or you are going to get the right ram.

Just a suggestion.

Ya, I'm giving them one more day... I already have the credit card dispute form in front of me. My problem is with their customer service, who told me that they were not only keeping the stick I sent back to them (which was not only the WRONG item but BROKEN as well) but unless I pay for shipping to get it back, they are keeping it, AND keeping my 126.00. They have not shown me any proof that I am in the wrong, or that they are in the right. Somewhere they screwed things up, and now I'm paying for it... I have no motive for sending them a broken stick of ram to try to get a free stick... I have perfect credit, no negitive record of any kind, no debt, and lets just say, I'm finacially very secure. The $126.00 is pocket change... it's the moral concept of the matter that I'm persuing to correct. What would you guys do if NewEgg just kept your money and your product and told you 'your wrong, were right, thanks for playing... sucker' ??

The people at Newegg make "hard earned money" too- just because you have (had) money and spent it with them does not make the world revolve around you-

Being considerate will go alot farther than spitting and yelling in their face.

Besides, if I recall, most of their shipping and order fulfillment process is automated- they match up stock numbers corresponding to what you placed your order for and scan it before it goes in the box and out the door.

Good luck-

-------------------------------------------------------------
The people at Newegg make "hard earned money" too- just because you have (had) money and spent it with them does not make the world revolve around you-

Besides, if I recall, most of their shipping and order fulfillment process is automated- they match up stock numbers corresponding to what you placed your order for and scan it before it goes in the box and out the door.

Good luck-
---------------------------------------------------------------

The people at NewEgg stealing my money isn't exactly what I call "hard earned money". And I hate to break it to you... I'm the paying customer, yes, the world DOES revolve around me concerning the issue.

If a robber busted into your house and stole a bunch of stuff from you, would you be 'considerate' in trying to get your stuff back? Probably not...

However their shipping and order fulfillment process works, it obviously isn't fullproof. Their error has cost me $126. Are you saying you would just smile at them and say "oh well, keep my money and my ram, besides you have 580,000 positive comments... you deserve to rip some people off every now and then, intentional or not"...

lung-butter said:
-------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck-
---------------------------------------------------------------

The people at NewEgg stealing my money isn't exactly what I call "hard earned money". And I hate to break it to you... I'm the paying customer, yes, the world DOES revolve around me concerning the issue.

If a robber busted into your house and stole a bunch of stuff from you, would you be 'considerate' in trying to get your stuff back? Probably not...

However their shipping and order fulfillment process works, it obviously isn't fullproof. Their error has cost me $126. Are you saying you would just smile at them and say "oh well, keep my money and my ram, besides you have 580,000 positive comments... you deserve to rip some people off every now and then, intentional or not"...

HA!!! i had some speakers stolen from my car.. took 7 YEARS!!! 7 YEARS!!! to get my speakers back from the police... so maybe you should think in better terms... cause it could ALWAYS be worse... ALWAYS!!!

nweibley said:
Look, if they really are doing everything wrong you say they are, and you are sure this is not your fault, if you paid with a major credit card, call the CC company and tell them. They will help you interact with newegg, and usually, when you get a CC company involved, the problem gets resolved... either you somehow get your money back, or you are going to get the right ram.

Just a suggestion.

You're free to take the information above, but I would advise against it. It's called a chargeback and will only make matters worse. If you issue a chargeback on your card saying you aren't paying for it, newegg can simply mail them proof of delivery and you are out $126.00. I'm sorry, but your credit card company most likely will not get involved (the way you think they will) and query newegg as to what's going on. It's just not the way I would handle the situation. People issue chargebacks for everything without thinking. And....if you are upset and demanding a credit, newegg cannot issue a credit on your card because the chargeback exists. I would try and handle this with newegg until you're exhausted. After that, you're better off contacting the BBB and cc'ing the attorney general. The company usually has 7 days after they receive the paperwork to respond to the complaint that has been filed. Good luck.

You have a little mishap with newegg and now they are stealing OUR money? What the hell are you talking about? You should be persistant with them, but don't accuse them of stealing. What they did sounds perfectly logical to me. It sounds like they made a mistake the first time around, but you sent them an item that did not match what the rma was for. You should talk to them NICELY, explain the situation, and I'm sure they can work something out. Newegg is a large operation, so I'm sure a lot of their stuff is just put into a database without thinking twice about it. Of course the computer will say it is the wrong product. You need to bring that to the attention of a human who can realize that the two products are very similar and that a mistake could have been made.

lung-butter go away. You have 4 forum posts total - all in this thread. If you accuse Newegg of being theives on the phone like you are here in this thread then I don't blame them for basically telling you to F-off.

There's a difference between someone breaking into your house and this situation right here. I suspect its too late for you to act like an adult in this matter and that is part of the reason why you will not get your money back.

Serial number and model number are two entirely different things.

What color were the heatsinks on the DIMM that you got from them and sent to them?

Honestly, I would just wait a bit...

I'm not saying what happened is out of the question, but from my experience Newegg customer service was excellent. I ordered a WD raptor drive and it arrived scratched up and covered with dust. I had obviously been used, I was pretty pissed off, I called and told them. Did the RMA thing, got my replacement, and they even reimbursed my shipping fee.

That was just my experience with them -- I mean its possible you were just rude to some guy who was pulling his last shift before quitting the customer service department or something...

You could also email them this thread...

BTW.. if they sent you the wrong memory stick [you are basically saying they sent the regular.. not platinum version of the ram.. ] wouldn't seem logical for you to have noticed that you were holding a stick of RAM that had BLACK heatsinks instead of SILVER like what you ordered. Instead, you open the package and use if for a week and now are trying to tell them that they sent you the wrong part which you seemed to have only noticed when they told you they got the wrong part from you? Have you thought about this at all?

Anyhoo, now that my confusion is out...

From their site:
<>
Q:I received an email indicating that the serial number of the item I RMA'd does not match the serial number of the product I originally purchased from Newegg.com. What now?

A:We keep serial numbers on all products every step of the way in our warehouse. Sometimes we find a customer has inadvertently returned an item that does not belong to Newegg.com. In such a case, the item in question will be returned to the customer with a request to send the correct item.
<>
It doesn't mention anything about who pays for the return shipping.
They are treating it like a return with an unauthorized RMA for some reason and if I recall, a lot of places will have you cover the shipping in these situations.

Also.. with the serial number.. Not sure if they are thinking of Model number and just saying serial number or if they mean serial number.

lung-butter said:
What can I do about this??
Kill yourself cause it's the end of the world. :rolleyes:
Just keep bugging them but try and act a little more mature about it. That's how big companies are.

lung-butter said:
My problem is with their customer service, who told me that they were not only keeping the stick I sent back to them (which was not only the WRONG item but BROKEN as well) but unless I pay for shipping to get it back, they are keeping it.
Just pay shipping and get your memory back.

lung butter said:
The $126.00 is pocket change... it's the moral concept of the matter that I'm persuing to correct. What would you guys do if NewEgg just kept your money and your product and told you 'your wrong, were right, thanks for playing... sucker' ?

^^ If $126 is pocket change than I say again, just pay the shipping and get your memory. Oh and since it seems your the money bags, order me some memory too!

Just be calm I'm sure they will make it right. To everyone else, give the guy a break.... if that dotted line towards the bottom of the first post indicates the end of his newegg letter, it is not that foul or over the top at all. I would have left out the slap in the face but you'll get there.

yes, send them a link to this thread.. that way they can see my freaken sig!!!!!

it sucks that you're in this situation since no one can really prove anything. be nice to newegg customer service and remind them often that they sent you the wrong item and they'll come through eventually. you should have realized they sent you the wrong part when you received it but it's a mistake that anyone could make. Just keep on them but don't yell.

Maybe suggest they check their stock and see if anything is missing. I dunno if that's possible, but it might be worth a try. Maybe you can ask them to contact a shipping manager who might have realized that the platinum was out of stock and shipped the other RAM as a replacement part. I'm not sure what to tell you, though. In the end, they have your money and all they have to go on is your word. Which is why you hafta keep after them and maybe they'll either believe you or figure out what happened. good luck.

guys - don't flame him, it is a crappy situation he's in and I'm sure y'all would be pissed too.

Back