Thermtake Xaser II
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Kingston HyperX PC3200 512 DDR kit
Antec True430 Power Supply
WD 20gig 7200rpm HHD
Samsung CDrom
3.5 drive
PNY Ti4600

I JUST got all this stuff today. I properly plugged in everything tot he best of my knowledge. I have built other systems before. I hooked in 1 stick of the DDR kit which is 1 256mb stick. properly installed the cpu and hsf. plugged in all the data cables and power cable correctly

took all the screws off the case dropped in the mobo screwed it in fine. keep my self grounded as well all the time.

Please help me figure this out. I remember reading a thread somewhere describing this i believe but i cant find it.

Again all I get is the fans spinning for 2 seconds and then nothing, the mobo has a green light so its getting power. The video card is working properly and all items are brand new today.

again, hope someone can help or lend advice.

-J

What video card do you have? My favorite trick is to install a Radeon that needs a DC connector and forgetting to plug a connector in......:rolleyes:

Good Luck - B.B.S.

I put the stick in the first slot twice, so I i reinstalled it

Video card is a Ti4600, no extra plug needed for that card.

I have my cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan input on the motherboard, thats the only fan plugged in on the board.

I know this board has problems with the stock heat sink being to tight and bringing up a error for the processor but im not even that far yet, everything spins for one second and thats it. nothing else happens, no post no nothing.

could something be shorting out?

thanks.

The thing that always fixed it for me when that happened was taking the heatsink off, and reseating it. Normally the whole one-second-till-crash thing happens when the CPU gets too hot and the system shuts itself down; that's what happens when the heatsink is either making very poor contact, or none at all.

Try reseating the heatsink, and/or applying a bit more thermal compound if necessary.

....it's a little painful, but what I'd do is:

- Pull the MoBo out.
- Strip it down to a MoBo, memory, CPU, and video card.
- Go for a boot with the MoBo sitting on your bench / table
- Boot = yes - You more than likely had a short in the case somewhere. Make sure you have all the correct standoffs installed, and try the same minimal hardware again in the case.
- Boot = no - The only way I know to diagnose a failure like this is to substitute hardware. That's why I keep my "old" P4 1.6A and a proven good stick of DDR-SDRAM and a couple of vanilla video cards around....

I do not think the P4 would get hot enough to thermal the system in one second, even without a heatsink. I don't think that's your issue but it is a guess on my part.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

thanks guy, i tried both things and hears what happens

I took off the heat sink and looked at the proc. It looked like it had pretty good contact with the proc. there were however 2 spots that were clean and didnt get touched by the thermal solution intel has on the bottom of the heatsink. Either way i put it back on and it did the same thing

Second i took the mobo out, placed it on my desk just straight up, not switching any ram out and tried it, still the same thing the fans turn for a sec and thats it. then i popped in a crucial PC2100 stick from my old system and tried and still got the same with, all this while out of the case.

So the case isnt shorting it out.

I put the processor and heatsink fan in correctly. Nothing way abrupted accept the first time i pushed one of the heatsink clamps down and that was just clickin plastic i believe from the clamp clicking down further.

Im totally stumped and bummed out.

Anyone else?

Your symptom (fans on for a second, then power off) sounds a lot like what happens when our P3-800 is powered on via a surge protector but the case front panel power switch is in the wrong position at power on (happens when my wife powers down the system on occasion:(). The fans start up for a second or two, then the system powers off.

I realize this may be a long shot, but check the pins on the MB where you connect the case front panel switch connectors to see if any of them are shorted or touching each other. That might cause the problem you are experiencing.

Actually, my suggestion in the last post is in reverse. If the pins for the power switch were shorted, the system would power up (provided everything else was working properly). If your case front panel power switch were faulty, that might cause a problem. The following link mentions this and a few other ideas:

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/troubleshoot/

I believe the pins are correct. I check the mobo manual and made sure my atx power switch was in the proper position.

I also made sure the power supply was on the correct setting for hear in the US.

This sucks!! :(

I really appreciate everyone's help though, anything else?

I know you said that you have the CPU plugged into the right header try the other ones. This has happened to me on asus boards before with these symptoms...just give the other headers a shot as long as you have some time.

There will be more 3 pin headers (what the CPU fan is plugged into at the moment) on the board, just look for them and plug the CPU fan into one of those.

ahh ok

there are 3:

Power Fan
CPU Fan
and some Chan Fan i think it called which is on the other side of the board.

Right now its plugged into the CPU fan, ill try the other Power fan even though Im pretty sure thats for the PS.

ill try that. thank you

Another thing to try would be to pull the power supply from another computer and, with the motherboard/ram/cpu/vid card on your desk as mentioned before, try it with a different power supply. Antec makes great PSUs, but there is always a chance it is having an issue.

Also, in case you haven't tried it this way, totally remove your case from the equation. After plugging the PSU into the motherboard, you can use a screwdriver or other metal object to touch the 2 headers for the power button, booting up the system.

Other than that, check your clear CMOS jumper (also try clearing your CMOS), and all other jumpers to make sure they are correct.

Does this motherboard have the ATX + 12V power connector?
Try removing the extra power cable and see what it does.

i had a similar experience and what was wrong was that the floppy was dead, try removing and see what happens i guess, u never know hope it works for ya

SarverSystems- im pretty sure there are no jumpers concerning DDR, but thats going by reading the manual, so im not 100% positive of that.

SoRnMaN- Tried taking it out of the case to see if there was a improper grounding issue but that wasnt the case

BUT

I havent tried a new ps, i mean Antec has always seemed one of those perfect companys but there human like the rest of the corp's out there. Im about to purchase another to see if that is the case but Im saving that as a last resort.

Methodical- yes it does have a ATX connector, never though of actually removing a power connector but ill definatly try it out.

Suki243- I took this 3.5 drive from my working Dell that im trying to replace. Im pretty positive its working but I will try an remove it.

Thank you all for your input, this means a lot, keep it comming if you can!

Back