new system thoughs

M1ster_R0gers

[H]ard [H]eaded
well I sold my guts of my main machine (loaded into a sweet antec minuet case) to my workplace for my personal system. Thats an MSI K7M2-GML with a thorton processor@ 2100 with 1gb of crucial ram. I am thinking of going intel, and buying possibly by the end of the week.

I am thinking an abit IC7 board, 2.6C processor, and I want to give the geil golden dragon 3200 series a shot. (they have mixed reviews)

I am looking for a reccomdation on a variable-speed performance cooler (no more deltas for me!) and any advice on what ram chips are ones to look for besides winbound BH5.

Do you think if the ram preforms well this system would be capable of 3.3+? This is the first intel system I am putting toghether since a p166MMX.

GEIL makes their own chips, so I don't know exactly how well they will perform. Not a ton of buzz about them either. For the cooling question, the Zalman 7000A is a variable speed, and cools well on the "silent" mode.

i have dual channel golden dragon GEIL and itll run at like 216mhz withoght crapping out

not so bueno for OCing, but nice for eveyrhting else

Uh, wait until the first week of february. Price cuts and new cpus.

problem is I am posting on a p2 400 and pretty much nothing else. I might pick up the RAM now due to a thrown together system which has a gigabyte 761 chipset. I had some crucial ram that I pulled out of a problem system that is suspected bad. I plugged it inot the gigabyte board and the system is entirely too flaky for use. Constant boot and system crashes. I am going to RMA it, I just dont have the time.

So I might pick up the golden dragon 1 gig kit this week so I at least have a playable system back (that includes my main hard drive).

I am still waiting to get my money back from the system I threw together for work. (BTW working flawlessly, the only AMD processor in the company w00t!)

When that comes in (hopefully by the middle of next week) I am thinking of doing a few different things.

1. Buying an IC7 board and a 2.6C. Keeping that system for a year before upgrading it to a prescott(provided the IC7 is stable with VRM10 spec).

2. Buying an IC7 and a 2.4 celeron. Upgrade to prescott when halflife2 or doom3 come out(whatevers first). Mostly the machine plays counterstrike anyways, and I can play around with the board set up for a few months.

so what do you guys think would be the best option? I have never sat behind a p4 celeron but something tells me I can fart around on the net and play CS with it. Mabye bf1942 and nfsu might be rough but I dont know because I have never had the pleasure(?) of sitting behind one. The closest I could compare with would be a xeon 1700 at work. Any personal experiences anyone feel like fessing up to?

BTW I noticed geil is making their own chip. I read around it only gets good when the voltage is 2.9 or above. Whether that is real or just forum bullshit I dont know but WTH its only around 200 bucks and its cas2 rated.

Back