New system suggestions

bburk1964

n00b
Deciding on the parts for a new system. It's for gaming and home theater. Planning on making it a silent/near silent build. Just wondering if I got everything right.
Is this RAM compatible? Are the new 10K SSD's worth waiting for? Anything else worth changing/tweaking? Hopefully this link will show you the build.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pkCC3y
thanks

Any reason for the 64gigs of Memory? The new 10k ssd's are in their infancy, I'd wait a year or so before diving in.

Otherwise that is a solid build!!!

Pretty much what deaedius posted. Not seeing any glaring issues. Just some thoughts.

PCIe 5 SSDs are very new, very pricey, run hot, and have no real-world benefit for gaming. A PCIe 4 unit like the one listed is good.

64 GB RAM is overkill for a gaming box. 32 should be more than plenty for just about anything. The selected set is XMP so should perform well with that CPU

No idea on that CPU cooler. Any reviews on it anywhere? FWIW the Thermalright units usually perform well and are priced favorably.

I'm guessing your TV is a 4K unit. For the games you play and chosen settings (e.g., ray tracing, DLSS, etc.), will the 4070ti be adequate at that resolution?

The 64 GB RAM is only 'because I can' really. Probably should just use 32.
Would an I7 get me anything worth having vs. the I5?
So the PCIe 5 SSD will have to wait. I have seen some $329 deals on the WD SN850X 4 TB offered. Might jump that way if I see one. Won't see a 4TB 990 PRO under $400 any time soon I am guessing.
Am hoping the 4070ti will be enough, it's as much as I am willing to spend. I am running at 4k, but only 60hz.
I have used that cooler before and love it. The system I am upgrading out of (passing down to spouse :) ) sits here dead silent through most everything and only makes a quiet whoosh at most under max load.

can be hard to comments without knowing the actual needs (for example silent is it just during different home theater operation or also gaming), how many possible expension are in the card or is this it.

Some general comments, depending on what you do the 5800x3d road could be an easier one to be fully silent when gaming then raptor lake, those can be set to be thermal limited to very reasonable level, but often by default they go significantly more power hungry than a 5800x3d-7800x3d.

Going for overbuilt Lovelace seem a good idea noise wise (most seem incredible under gaming scenario), but now there is some 7900xt cheaper, the $900 msrp pricing is long gone on those, that could compete really well, depends a bit on what you play, noise level relative and the media task, but although cheaper it is about 10% more powerful at 4k in traditionnal raster.

If you see good deal on 6800xt-6900xt could always be considered:
fannoise_load.png

$290 on a motherboard on a possibly dead platform (maybe not, maybe there will be an interesting RL refresh on that socket) for a non workstation type machine is good money, going with a $220 option maybe offer you all you need.

Would an I7 get me anything worth having vs. the I5?
Regardless of threads count use, it always give more cache and can be a bit better bin (higher clock on some cores), which can translate on some gain, there a lot of benchmark outthere so if you are lucky you can see some for the exact game and application you use to have some idea.

As for the 64gb of ram, depends on what you do, price is not bad right now, going from 48gb down to 32gb because a cooler did not fit, I saw a big difference in some workload and my next rig will be 64 or 96.

24gb stick start to come out now and 48gb regular dual is also an option, but I feel 2x32 being so much more common, pricing advantage will not be much for loosing 16.

If you already have a windows machine that already do what you plan to do, you can from time to time look in the task manage how much compressed the stuff put in ram is, really depends what those media things, but recent game seem to make going for at least 32 gb a no brainer no, so who knows if in not too long 48gb will start to be usuable for non modded game, if it is not already the case if you have a lot of background stuff.

Following up to what Blue mentioned. A few things I would change...

PSU, definitely go with a Corsair RMx unit like the RM850x. The RMe series is decent but far from their best stuff. The RMx are the best you can get and outclasses pretty much anything pre atx 3.0. If you shop around, make sure its the 2021 version.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm850x-cp-9020200-na-850w/p/N82E16817139272
Seriously consider one of these heatsinks, Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 $35-40, Frost Commander 140 $45-50 or Phantom Spirit 120 $45-$50. They are all superior heatsinks to the Ninja and cheaper. Trust me when I say they all match or exceed the best of the best coolers out there (including Noctua). You will need it if you want to get the most out of a 13600k or 13700k, they run hot af underload. To somewhat answer your question, the real benefit is 2 more p cores with the 13700. Which matches the 13900k in gaming performance.
For memory, I would go with these Gskill for $99.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374430
Just a little bit faster than the 5600s and cheaper (Intel still likes fast memory). If you find that you want to go with 64gb later on down the line, Gskill will be making these modules for a long, long time. So upgrading will be gravy.
The WD SN850X 4tb deal is verrry sexy right now. But if you can hold off, most m.2 drives (and memory)are going to continue to drop. Maybe not by a ton but they will keep coming down slowly this year. So it may be wise to go with the 1tb WD SN850X for $85 @ BB for now (or something similar)and snag a 4tb on Black Friday.

Your mb choice is nice one 👍. I'm running the ddr4 version and have had nothing but good things to say about it. If not for the glut of sweet b-die I had stashed away I would've gone with the same ddr5 version myself.

Can't help much on the 4070ti front. I wrote the card off due to Nvidias horrible pricing scheme.

Your Define 7c is a sweet choice as well. I've used a couple in builds and really like the quality and layout of it for aircooled builds.

Hope my jabbering away helps you figure some things out 😆!
GL and enjoy the new rig!

Seriously consider one of these heatsinks, Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 $35-40, Frost Commander 140 $45-50 or Phantom Spirit 120 $45-$50. They are all superior heatsinks to the Ninja and cheaper. Trust me when I say they all match or exceed the best of the best coolers out there (including Noctua). You will need it if you want to get the most out of a 13600k or 13700k, they run hot af underload. To somewhat answer your question, the real benefit is 2 more p cores with the 13700. Which matches the 13900k in gaming performance.
For memory, I would go with these Gskill for $99.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374430
Just a little bit faster than the 5600s and cheaper (Intel still likes fast memory). If you find that you want to go with 64gb later on down the line, Gskill will be making these modules for a long, long time. So upgrading will be gravy.
The WD SN850X 4tb deal is verrry sexy right now. But if you can hold off, most m.2 drives (and memory)are going to continue to drop. Maybe not by a ton but they will keep coming down slowly this year. So it may be wise to go with the 1tb WD SN850X for $85 @ BB for now (or something similar)and snag a 4tb on Black Friday.
Meant to respond sooner, but got distracted by bright shiny objects or something as usual...

The heatsinks you mention. Do they do better than the Skythe Ninja when the system is running 100% passive? I run my system like that the majority of the time, zero fans running at all. The fans just kick on under heavy gaming.

The RAM you mention is faster, the one I had picked I chose because of its low latency. Would the increased speed result in better performance than the lower latency?

Thanks

Depends on what you are wanting out of it. RAM? GPU? MB? Those are three items that may exceed or fall under what you expect. Possibly monies can be saved to drastically improve a component, but without a use case your asking us all to recommend blindly at your lack of relevant info.
Good build? Sure. Is it the best build for a specific use case? Nope.

Depends on what you are wanting out of it. RAM? GPU? MB? Those are three items that may exceed or fall under what you expect. Possibly monies can be saved to drastically improve a component, but without a use case your asking us all to recommend blindly at your lack of relevant info.
Good build? Sure. Is it the best build for a specific use case? Nope.
There are a variety of uses.
A lot of time at emails, web browsing, etc. during which I require the system be 100% silent. No fan movement whatsoever.
The next biggest chunk of time is home theater use which also requires complete silence.
The third use is gaming, this could be anything from low demand games like Hearthstone, to higher demand like Borderlands 3, recently I am playing Diablo IV. Still hoping for close to silent even at the most demanding of those. No overclocking needed, just no noise.
All this on a big-screen TV monitor that is 4K resolution, but only 60 Hz refresh rate.

If there are choices of longevity vs. cost savings, I am more interested in longevity.

That pretty much covers what I use this for.

There are a variety of uses.
A lot of time at emails, web browsing, etc. during which I require the system be 100% silent. No fan movement whatsoever.
The next biggest chunk of time is home theater use which also requires complete silence.
The third use is gaming, this could be anything from low demand games like Hearthstone, to higher demand like Borderlands 3, recently I am playing Diablo IV. Still hoping for close to silent even at the most demanding of those. No overclocking needed, just no noise.
All this on a big-screen TV monitor that is 4K resolution, but only 60 Hz refresh rate.

If there are choices of longevity vs. cost savings, I am more interested in longevity.

That pretty much covers what I use this for.
A demand is one singular thing. You need to pick one. You built an "all-a-round" system, and did quite well IMO.
It is fine. I think you will be fine.

Meant to respond sooner, but got distracted by bright shiny objects or something as usual...

The heatsinks you mention. Do they do better than the Skythe Ninja when the system is running 100% passive? I run my system like that the majority of the time, zero fans running at all. The fans just kick on under heavy gaming.

The RAM you mention is faster, the one I had picked I chose because of its low latency. Would the increased speed result in better performance than the lower latency?

Thanks
For passive cooling I wouldn't go any smaller than the fc140. With a 13600/700 you will still need solid case flow. Which is easy with low loads, quiet fans and proper settings. Specifically your intake and exhausts set up to stay at 500 or 600rpm, silent for the majority of quality fans.
We have a member (freeagent) that runs/ran his AMD rig passively with a fc140 with no problems.

You won't notice a difference between the two mem kits at stock speeds/timings. The slightly tighter timings aren't going to make any difference overall vs the higher speed of the 6000. The main reason I mentioned the ddr5 6000 is so that you wouldn't leave any potential performance on the table (as well as future performance improvements).

For passive cooling I wouldn't go any smaller than the fc140. With a 13600/700 you will still need solid case flow. Which is easy with low loads, quiet fans and proper settings. Specifically your intake and exhausts set up to stay at 500 or 600rpm, silent for the majority of quality fans.
We have a member (freeagent) that runs/ran his AMD rig passively with a fc140 with no problems.
So this is going to run hotter than my current I5 7600K and MSI 'tri-frozer' 2800 GXT? Built the system in 2015. Been running it around the clock 24/7 100% passive for years. It's in a Fractal Define R7 case with the open grid top panel that lets heat radiate up. Other than running something like Diablo IV it is totally silent. Even then there is only a quiet whoosh that most people probably wouldn't hear.
I am stuck with the unfortunate annoyance being autistic. Completely high function and essentially invisible other than a bit of social awkwardness. However I have all of the hyper senses that go along with this. I can see in the near complete darkness. I hear things that are so quiet that humans should not be able to hear them.
We tried a comparison/test one day. A 17-year-old girl was visiting. We tested who could hear what better. She could hear higher frequencies than I can. However as far as hearing the quietest of pin drops, even at 50 years old, I could do better than her.
What is "silent" to everyone else is annoyingly audible to me. Even a Noctura fan running a 500 RPM. Thus my pursuit of total passive silence the majority of the time.
People have come into my house and after walking around a minute have commented that they find it creepy just how quiet it is. They find it unnatural. I find it peaceful! :)

Back