New Storm Surges Through I.T. World

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Internet Storm Center there is a new Storm worm spreading across the internet with over 20,000 infections detected in a single day last week. Apparently that must be the number of people that fall for the age old “click here to fix your PC” e-mail messages because that's how it spreads.

The latest Storm worm variant is another indication that antivirus software is no longer an adequate means to protect consumers from malicious threats, as researchers are finding many Storm worm infections caused simply by users running the e-mailed Storm executables and inadvertently infecting their PCs with the new Storm virus.

We saw this Virus come out within hours of it popping onto the net, and hopefully we have trained our users well. We have them email us and forward us possible virii & spam. We got our first forward at 11:30am, and got a 2nd at 2:30pm, we were curious, and opened the virus on a sandbox w/ latest McAfee DAT files. It opened w/out any issue. We called our McAfee support line, and submitted the virus to them. They provided us with an updated dat file by 4:45pm for the new strain, and then we had it installed on our premiter appliances, and pushed down to all clients by 5pm via our ePO server.

Symantec (we have SAV Corporate 10.1) e-mailed me about this late last week, already telling me which virus definitions we had to have to be protected. Since we have LiveUpdate set to grab updates every hour on our AV servers, and every 4-6 hours for our clients to grab from the servers, we have very few infections.

While I loathe their home products, their corporate stuff works reasonably well.

Symantecs business products are pretty rock solid. I think part of the issue is that it was in a password protected zip file, that they had not seen before. Not sure why they could not protect from the EXE INSIDE the zip file, but oh well. Looks like we were pretty well protected also. Supposidly we were one of the first few people to submit to McAfee, as they requested us to submit if we had a version b/c they only had a couple submissions so far.

Back