New LCD gives a blue tint after 30 or 40 minutes of use

magic_rat03

Lurker
My father bought new LCD(old one Dell FP 2007 finally died!) Asus ProArt Display PA248QV(if that matters) from Amazon I helped him set it up over the phone, he lives 6ish hours away.

Everything looked good right out of the box worked fine. He usually isn't on his PC for very long at a time and can go a few days without even turning it on.

Two days later he was looking up pictures of something to carve and was on it for at least 30 minutes possibly 40. Screen turned a blue tint.

He calls me up telling me this. I assume it is heat or heat related. Turns off while we are talking. 10-15 turns monitor back on tint is gone.

I tell him to go to youtube and pick a 30 minute video and let it run. It runs, he returns and it has the blue tint back.

Drivers updated.
Nightlight thing not it.
Cables switched and connected correctly.
I do not know of anything else to have him and his computer skill set to check.

Bad monitor(just return it and be done) or am I missing something here?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.

Are all the image processing functions turned off? On ASUS displays you want to turn off ASCR, Blue Light Filter, and VividPixel.

PA248QV manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PA248QV/PA248QV_English.pdf

Was blue tint gradual or sudden?
- If gradual, then MIGHT be heating related.
- If sudden, then MIGHT be firmware-issue or setting-issue related.

Did he try any of the "ProArt Presets"?
- Try sRGB Mode, Reading Mode, etc. (Page 3-1 of manual)
- Disable all processing features, try a slightly warmer color temperature setting (not User or 9300K)

If gradual (slow emergence of blue tint, not sudden), then possible heat-related or vision-related
- Heat can sometimes cause distortions on LCDs/backlights/phosphors, especially if the backlight setting is extremely bright, combined with a very hot room.
- Also human vision issues involving LED backlight (the Dell was CCFL, this is LED backlit) can cause a phantom blue-tinting behavior.
- These are fairly old-fab 1920x1200 panels (barely above $100), so it may be prone to certain heat-related behaviors.
- To determine if heat-related, test in a cooler room temporarily and try lowering brightness significantly (this will reduce panel heating), and observing if there's a delayed onset of blue tinting. If no effect, then it's not heat related

Last edited:
I was gonna say coming from an old ccfl everything looks blue, I’m sitting in front of an array of old HP LP2465 right now that were new circa 2005 and the regular Samsung LED monitor next to them is super blue in comparison.

Yes! That is true too. LED backlit monitors can look very blue to a first-time user.

It can also happen if you've been in a room with warm lights (incandescent), or a room with warm lighting, and then suddenly go back to a 9300K color temperature. It suddenly looks super blue, much bluer than before. Even 6500K daylight setting may look too blue if the room is lit only in incandescent light bulbs, much bluer than he may be used to.

Also, Windows Night Light is at a very very very low setting by default, it won't undo 9300K completely. Lowers it only to maybe 7000-8000K which is still way bluer than daylight 6500K.

magic_rat03 -- to fix this, read the PDF instruction manual and give instructions to family to configure the screen to 4000-5000K.

And if that's not warm enough, turn on Night Light and adjust it to approximately 33%. There's a Night Light slider. The slider sometimes defaults to 0%.

Also some people can't handle LED-backlit LCDs well, although some monitors have better broad-spectrum backlight LEDs.

This will be a problem for any LED-backlit LCDs (if returned and exchanged).

Life is a by-way and I have been busy as f. But figured in case anybody else needs the answer to my question and possibly theirs.

It wasn't a setting on the monitor, not being used to a brighter screen, Windows setting, cable or what have you. The monitors are factory calibrated out of the box and should need no adjusting, one of the reasons he got it.

He returned the monitor and got the same exact one. 1.5 weeks later same exact thing with the new monitor. Well he needed a VGA port so I said well I will get him one direct at Microcenter, drive 6 hours one way and see what is going on here.

Getting there and turning on the monitor him goofing off for 20ish minutes until it went 'blue'. It wasn't exactly what I expected, it was like it lost the red color on the screen and turned it a blue 'tint' I guess you would say. He turned it off, waited 20 seconds and turned it back on. Monitor went back to normal. The monitor has a fully adjustable screen (one of the +s) so I grabbed it and jerked it towards me to look at it closer.

And violins the color shifted back to normal. And after confering with an electronic repair guy at work, he said it was a bad solder joint not making good contact all the time and it could easily get passed over in testing.

So we sent the bad Amazon monitor back after checking the new one to make sure it wasn't in the same batch(it is older even out of the box) and I eventually came home. New monitor has been great out of the box and is still working fine.

But thanks again for the replies.

VGA? Most users have not used that for over ten years.

If I had known that, I would have suggested it! Oh yes, loose red wire connection -- bad VGA adaptor, bad VGA cable, bad VGA port, etc -- including bad solder joints too!
So if the blue comes back, tell him to try a replacement cable (and/or external VGA adaptor) -- sometimes it's a problem inside the monitor, a problem inside the computer, or a problem in the external cable/adaptor chain.

A disappearing red wire means only green/blue which produces cyan (kind of a light blue).

This generally shouldn't happen for HDMI and DisplayPort. But it's presumed that bad internals could cause a color channel to disappear even on HDMI/DP -- so it is never the HDMI/DP cable or loose ports creating blue (the blue would have to be an internal problem) -- while for VGA the blue problem can be the cable itself, or the ports themselves.

Thermals (heating/cooling = metal expansion in wires and joints) can also produce a time-based effect on color loss, whether cable, ports, or internals (on computer side or monitor side).

Sudden color loss is common for VGA (like a loose cable or very worn VGA port on computer side). but generally exceedingly rare for HDMI and DisplayPort (and when that ever happens, it's usually panel-side glitch/problem)

Thank you for replying with the answer, I was curious!

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted out.

I'm pretty sure I have one of those, or at least it matches the specs. I've never had any color issues with it. Until I bought an OLED last weekend it probably had better color performance than any other display I've had since my Sony GDM-FW900 broke again back in 2012 or so. I'd have to go find the receipt to be sure, but mine is a 24" Asus ProArt 1920x1200 screen with a 75Hz max refresh and FreeSync support, just like that one. I bought it because it was what I could find in that size. Glad they're still being made. 24" 1920x1200 makes an excellent side screen for a large (43" or so) 4k monitor in portrait mode.

I've had that analog VGA color loss thing happen. It's pretty obvious when it does, at least if you know you're using an analog VGA connection and have separate wires for red, green and blue. I also had a couple CRT monitors that would allow me to cause that if I wanted to back in the day. They had BNC connectors. 5 separate coaxial cables for red, green, blue, vertical sync and horizonal sync. They wouldn't work at all if a sync cable was unplugged, but you could drop out a color channel by unplugging the appropriate cable. I don't think it can happen on DisplayPort, HDMI, or DVI (when in digital mode, DVI plug can also support analog) unless the panel is broken or the computer/GPU is bugged/broken. They don't have separate wires for different colors.

I don't think it can happen on DisplayPort, HDMI, or DVI (when in digital mode, DVI plug can also support analog) unless the panel is broken or the computer/GPU is bugged/broken. They don't have separate wires for different colors.

DVI and HDMI both have 3 pixel data channels (well dual link DVI has 6), with regular DVI, it is split red, green, blue; so I think you could lose just one channel (wikipedia says sync is with Blue on link 1, though, so if you lose blue, you lose everything, presumably). HDMI can encode color several different ways, so what you get when you lose a data link probably varies a lot.

On modern HDMI/DP -- there is generally almost never color-channel loss (and when it happens, it is usually not due to a loose-cable scenario) -- because there's micro-packetization involved and data-integrity checks (e.g. hashing / checksumming / CRCs) and other stuff thrown in.

You usually either get random noise or a blankout during link fail, depending on what the DP/HDMI transceiver does with damaged data.

Now, early DVI was different (as was the first version of HDMI which was DVI compatible), it was easier to have color-channel loss a long time ago.

Back