New HD is no longer showing as "initialized". wtf?

XeroSygnal

n00b
Just got one of those WD 80GB 8mb cache drives that OfficeMax had the good deal on. Got the drive installed to my PC. Formatted it (with NTFS) and partitioned it into 2 40GB drives. Moved a few gigs of data to one of the partitions and everything was good.

A few minutes ago, I noticed that neither one of those new partitions were showing up. Rebooted the machine, and noticed the new drive shows in BIOS just fine. However, it and its partitions are still missing from Windows.

So, I go into "Computer Management" and then "Disk Management" and it shows that the drive is there but that it is not "initialized". How in the hell did that happen? And is there any way that I can correct this without losing the 6GB of data that I had already moved to the drive?

System specs below, if it matters:

Windows XP Pro
Abit KR7A-RAID
AthlonXP 2000+
512mb PC 2100 RAM
80GB Western Digital HD (old one)
80GB Western Digital HD w/ 8mb cache (new one)
Radeon 9500 (softmodded to 9700)
Audigy 2

Just shut the system down and did some house cleaning in it. Moved the drives into locations where the IDE cable could reach both of them better. Set the jumpers on both drives to cable select and powered back up. Now, the new drive shows that it initialized but still no assigned drive letter and still no sign that I'll be able to get my data back.

Back