new hard drive pains

islndrs22

n00b
ok so i upgraded my system....new mobo(abit AI7) a new processor(2.4C) and new hard drive(120gb sata maxtor)
so i reinstalled windows(Xp home) on the new hard drive and and put my old one in and am trying to get my old files off the old one ...i can get most of them but i can get my stuff out of documents and settings
its telling me that i am denided access to the files and i can't get the all the my music and pics and such...how do i get the files off of it
thanks

when you ran your old computer you had your personal files (stuff in documents and settings) protected by win xp
to unprotect these files you could try booting your old system from the old hard drive unlocking the files (somewhere in folder proeries, if not go to sharing tab and there is a worded link to the option)...
after you unlock boot that drive into your new rig and transfer away...

that sucks

first thing that came to mind, have you tried loading up in DOS and getting the files that way? hehe time consuming process but might work

for some reason I have the weirdest ideas

Originally posted by Leb_CRX
that sucks

first thing that came to mind, have you tried loading up in DOS and getting the files that way? hehe time consuming process but might work

i dont think that is the reason... i bet its the xp personal file protection system

Originally posted by Leb_CRX
that sucks

If it's formatted as NTFS, DOS wouldn't help.

Unfortunately, since you have WinXP HOME, the only thing I can think of is what Hyper_Psycho mentioned, which is loading the OS from your old HD and moving the files outside of the 'documents & settings' directory. I believe XP home has no sort of 'lock' feature except those by default on anything that gets stored in 'documents & settings'.

If you had XP Pro on the otherhand, this would be a simple matter of going to the folder's security preferences and taking ownership... but yeh...you have XP Home... :(

Originally posted by versello
If it's formatted as NTFS, DOS wouldn't help.

Unfortunately, since you have WinXP HOME, the only thing I can think of is what Hyper_Psycho mentioned, which is loading the OS from your old HD and moving the files outside of the 'documents & settings' directory. I believe XP home has no sort of 'lock' feature except those by default on anything that gets stored in 'documents & settings'.

If you had XP Pro on the otherhand, this would be a simple matter of going to the folder's security preferences and taking ownership... but yeh...you have XP Home... :(

Rclick my documents on desktop
go to the sharing tab
make sure that the MAKE THIS FOLDER PRIVATE is unchecked
yey, now you can access these files with your new computer

thanks ut i guess im going to either get xp pro or try and rebuild my old system. arg...this sux...i tryed the shareing the folder and now i can get into the folder but can access the files so i can see all my old files but can access them which is driveing me nuts (so close but so far)
thanks again :)

Originally posted by islndrs22
thanks ut i guess im going to either get xp pro or try and rebuild my old system. arg...this sux...i tryed the shareing the folder and now i can get into the folder but can access the files so i can see all my old files but can access them which is driveing me nuts (so close but so far)
thanks again :)

darn ... just make sure with your new system that you have the feature disables so like 2 years down the road you dont go through the same pain in the ass while working on a new 64 bit system running some crazy ass windows of future !

Back