New displays turn off for 50 seconds and then come back on ?

revv

Weaksauce
I'm having an interesting problem. I bought a couple of displays from Amazon Warehouse to replace my aging Alienware AW3418DW. I replaced this one with an LG 32GQ950-B and an LG 27GP95R-B. Additionally I also use a Dell P2419H, which I used with my old Alienware monitor without issue. I have an MSI 4080 Suprim X graphics card and a EVGA PSU rated between 1000-1200W (can't remember).

So right now I have this 3 monitor setup which I'm really liking (these LG panels are spectactular!) but I have one problem. At random intervals, all of my screens will go dark and enter power saving mode (as if I turned off the computer) and stay like that for about 45-50 seconds and then turn back on. I have not yet been able to determine what is causing this. It is important to note that this problem was not present when I was only using the 32GQ950-B and the P2419H. It started happening once I added the 27GP95R-B to the mix. Additionally, when the displays power off, it sends my PC into the same mode as when I lock it (Corsair iCue goes on standby, fans spin up, display on the Corsair cooler changes, etc.) On occasion, when the displays came back on, the default sound device would change to the monitor's sound output (I have since disabled that sound device), kind of like when you update/reinstall graphics drivers.

The two LG panels are running at 4K, 144 Hz, 10 bit, HDR and the Dell Panel is running at 1920x1080, 60 Hz, 8 bit, SDR.

Things I've already tried:
  • Reinstalling current version of graphics drivers
  • Reinstalling current version of graphics drivers (clean install)
  • Rolling back to previous version of graphics drivers
  • Replacing the Dell monitor's DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable
  • Replacing the LG 27" monitor's DisplayPort for an HDMI cable
  • Turning off Freesync in the LG 27" monitor
  • Disabling Deep Sleep in both LG monitors
  • Changing refresh rates to 120 Hz and even 60 Hz on the 27" LG monitor
Any ideas of what could be happening? I'm almost certain the problem stems from this third, 27" LG monitor, as the behavior mentioned above does not happen when only the 32" LG monitor and the 24" Dell monitor are connected.

Have you tried disabling power saving completely from the monitor giving you trouble? Also, you could get the LG on screen control application, you might be able to check for firmware updates through it.

Thanks. I checked the firmware and it is updated.

It just happened again and the event viewer says that nvlddmkm is reponsible, with an error 14:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Have you tried disabling hdr across the board?
I have an LG monitor that does something similar when I have auto-HDR enabled. Another idea is to use a different outlet for the offending monitor.

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling hdr across the board?
I have an LG monitor that does something similar when I have auto-HDR enabled. Another idea is to use a different outlet for the offending monitor.

I have not tried disabling HDR. I do want HDR as things seem to look better with it on. What is auto-HDR? I set mine to always on.

Well, I'm on a clean Windows install and this is still happening, so it is not driver related. I'm on the verge of taking the L and returning this thing.

I've hooked up my old Alienware monitor to see what happens and so far it has been stable.

I havent seen it happen since I swapped out the monitor and I've been running some pretty instensive tasks since then. Also, this computer/equipment is running on a dedicated 12 amp circuit, so I can't imagine it is power-related.

Updating for posterity...

I replaced the LG monitor with a Gigabyte M27U and the issue is still happening.

I've submitted a ticket to MSI because it might be GPU related.

Oh, does this happen when you sit down or stand up? Or someone near your desk doing that?

Back