New 2.8C M0 SL6Z5 arrived...

SVTSnake

Limp Gawd
Booted right up at 250fsb at default vcore. Will let it burn in for awhile there!!! This is pretty cool considering I tried 3 2.8C's before with no luck and about 5-6 2.6C's with non either.

cpuz4.jpg

Yeah, the revision is missing. You have a good chip there, overclocking at default voltage.

Got the chip (retail) from Overclockers in England. Don't know why it doesn't show the revision, but it is a M0 chip (has the same capacitor layout as the SL6Z3 and EE chips. You can tell by the stepping though. D1 chips are stepping 9's and M0 are stepping 5's.

Thats a nice overclock at just default vcore. You mean you havn't pushed it to see what it will do yet? :D

I just got my 2.4C - MO revision from newegg, and it'll top out at ~3.5 Ghz, that's at default voltage with the stock all- aluminum intel heatsink. runs 41C under load. I know I'm happy with that :)

I just returned my 2.8 M0, no magic OC there for me. Took 1.775v to get it up to 3.5Ghz. My 2.6 D1 OC's much better and gets better memory bandwidth from higher FSB. My2c

Originally posted by freecableguy
uhhh...where's the revision data for that picture...?

I guess 1.19 of CPU Z doesn't recognize the 2.8 M0. Updated to 1.20 and it shows the stepping fine?

Doesn't look like MO is all that magical.

My old 2.8c has no problems running 3.5.

my 2.8 with stock air cooling i could only get to 2.94 stable...wouldnt boot past 3.1ghz if i remember correctly...

just curious, i noticed my voltage is .05 less than SVTSnake, if i raise mine .05 would that be a big difference?

myCPU.gif

-edit
I raised my VCore up a notch...tried runnin at 3.11ghz, seemed ok at first...but 3dmark crashed at the end of the ogre cpu test (hadnt run prime95 yet) so i just reverted back to default vcore and 2.94ghz..i dont think its worth raisin voltage if i cant even get it over 3.1ghz...its a shame too, was getting a couple more fps on the tests...when it crashed my cpu was at 50 degrees which isnt too shabby...

Blackspawn,

you have a C1 stepping 533FSB chip, which in general most C1 steppings only did about 2.9-3.0Ghz

I had 2 - C1 stepping chips that I played with:
1 maxed at 3.06Ghz (OC'd 2.53Ghz)
1 maxed at 2.95Ghz (OC'd 2.53Ghz)

And you can up your voltage to 1.6 with out any fear of damage.
Your motherboard probably undervolts like many.
So at 1.6v you'd probably only get 1.56v and they would help since you're currently not even at the default voltage of 1.525v (you're only at 1.50v)

P.S. what are you temps? I bet you can hit the magic 3.0Ghz with a little effort. (did you test with Prime95?)

ok i'll try 1.6v to see what happens...i didnt try prime95 on the first 3.11ghz oc w/ 1.55v because just having 3dmark crash seemed like it was unstable enough, no need to do more testing :eek:) i will post result in about 10 min or so after some tests are done

ding... 10 minutes... :) check to see if what your actual volts are once you're in windows. B/c like I was saying a lot of mobo's undervolt a bit. Then check temps while running Prime95.

Prime95 will show instability usually faster than 3dMark and if it can handle Prime95, it can handle ANYTHING!

Prime95 is probably overkill for 80% of people as far as stability testing is concerned. I dont know of any other program that can bring a computer to instability so easily.

who the F said anything about Burn In ? We're talking about stability testing which is very valid. (the 1st post was 4 days ago, get up to day!)

lol sorry got distracted...definatly ran 3dmark ok, (raised it 1 mark lol) newho, so yea this is it, and im running prime95 now

myCPU2.gif

-edit, oh yea, also, so far leveled out at 53 degrees, and voltage seems stable at 1.6v, also, it idles ~34C

lol...prime failed within 10 seconds

ok had to drop it to 2.98ghz in order for prime to get past first test lol, so far its at test 6 now, well see how this un does...

bah...only ran 10 minutes/33 tests...which i assume is not stable enough?? Temp maxxed at 52c now

Originally posted by chrisf6969
who the F said anything about Burn In ? We're talking about stability testing which is very valid. (the 1st post was 4 days ago, get up to day!)

I was talking about the first post, get a clue about what I'm talking about or don't post if you know nothing.

Well, 3500 was completly stable at default vcore. Right now I am running at 3700 at 1.6v and it is Prime stable at that. Anymore volts to the chip though and it doesn't want to boot. Anyhow, I am completly satisfied with this 2.8C!

nice ..you should be able to squeeze some more juice outta her without a hitch if ya had a vapo or something of the like

I had a 2.4c chip that did 3.6ghz at 1.6v on air ..slapped her in a vapo setup and it did 3.6ghz at default v

an hour... ;)

Prime is usually an overkill test for stability.

Most people can run everything they want. (games for hours on end, multitask, intense graphics filters, video encoding, etc.) at a certain speed, but not Prime95.

If you can run it for over a few minutes, and it craps out after that its probably b/c its taxing your CPU 100% (heating it up) and you need better cooling.

If it craps out almost immediately, you need either more volts or back down the speed.

Back