Need suggestions for setting up fileserver/backup.

Steve_Oaks

Gawd
Just as topic states. I start by listing machines:

Windows XP Pro 2Ghz, 40gig hd Desktop (only comp with a hardware raid controller)
Windows 2k 500mhz, 20 gig Desktop

Mandrake 400mhz, 10 gig hd Mail Server
Redhate Dual p2-400 mhz, 4 gig scii Webserver
2k Server 300mhz, 10 gig. file server/domain controller

Now for hard drives I also have a wd 120 gig 8 meg cache (I have had it plugged into the 2k server) and now an 80 gig 8 meg cacher(getting a second is possible). Im looking for suggestions on what machine to setup as the file server and how to setup backup. Right now I have 22 of gig of music/installs/pics/videos on the wd 120 gig. I was also thinking of making the "My Documents" of both desktops map to the network fileserver. So the local hard drives would just hold their os's and proggies. So it would be possible to partition the desktop hds and us them for backup. Also I want to script the backups, ie running at 1 am. I also have a usb 2.0 ide hard drive enclosure also which could be used. Im looking for suggetstions on what my best performance option would be. Im concerd my 1 am backup would be backing up for like 12 hours. Suggestions?

How about running the full backup only on the weekends and then doing incrimentals throughout the week?

Originally posted by TrechMaggotface
How about running the full backup only on the weekends and then doing incrimentals throughout the week?

But how exactly should I set it up? I have the 120gig plus an 80 gig(and can get a second 80 gig) for the file server/backup. I have been using the 2k machine just because all the clients are windows so it would handle permissions properly.

Doh! I see what youre askin now. I think I might try backing up to the usb 2.0 enclosure if you could swing a drive to go in it. I've always been a big fan of external backups just in case of like a lightning strike vs backing up to another partition/drive on the same machine.

Back