Need new mobo with off-pci onboard gigabit ethernet, which one? confusing.

davatar

n00b
I was looking at the AN50R, and even on the hardocp review it says that it uses the intel CSA chip, but nowhere is this advertised, worst yet I can't find any block diagram for this board. Manual says it uses the 82540EM, but the isn't the CSA 82547EI?

The Chaintech znf3-150 seems to have really good performance, but that's with an otherwise idle pci bus, what does it do when you have other activity? (Yes cpu usage is high, but jumbo-frames cuts to 1/6th) Also it's frickin expensive.

Of course I could go straight intel and be guaranteed, however my newegg wish list shows this setup to be more expensive and slower. (I would really like a 1mb cache, better for video encoding) Plus the AN50R has dual ethernet, and I'll be running linux on it anyway, so I think it should be quite a bit faster at 64bit. Also I've been told that the entire southbridge bus runs at 266MB/s. So it's not like the CSA adapter really gets any dedicated bandwidth. True or False?

This is what I want:
Dual ethernet, at least one gig.
As many parallel ide ports as possible.
As much stuff off the pci bus as possible.
Everything should work under linux. So if I can find an athlon64 board to do it, even better.
Quiet, So if it has a gigantic fanless northbridge cooler, and no EXos (or whatever the marketing for that is now), even better.

Why?
This box will be file server and mythtv box, so far it has 9 hd's in it. Software raid 1 system, software raid 5 main storage, single ide mythtv media. Not only is it packed to the brim, not allowing me to add more tuners, but raid-5/server performance is crap. When the system is idle I can get 100MB/s reads, but when I start getting video capture+have to serve it back out on gigabit, performance is nil. (In case your wondering, cpu usage for the raid5 is only a few percent) Same for drive rebuilds, which don't max out cpu, but just the pci bus. This is on an old kt133, which is known for it's poor pci performance as well. I'd like dual ethernet so I can keep my jumbo-frame gigabit network separate from the internet.

Put it this way, on jumbo-framed adapter that I can get 85MB/s netperf throughput on with an idle system, samba performance drops down to ~15MB/s, and if it's really busy below 10MB/s. All with non-maxed cpu usage.
I hope to get at least 40MB/s network reads after I upgrade, with a server that's isn't completely idle.

What are my choices?

(Why don't any desktop boards have more than 32bit/33Mhz pci? arghhh)

Back