Need info on DFI LP NF2 Ultra B

hibwarden

n00b
You see what I currently have in my sig.
My bro in Law needs a comp for himself for his work and cannot yet afford it and since I want more SATA for video editing than the ASUS board allows, I was thinking of getting rid of this board and giving him my old stuff.(amd 1700/the MSI video board/some cheaper than corsair ram) I don't want to get him something he cannot upgrade later. I am looking the DFI board and did some research and I know I want the OC abilty this has.

Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone that owns this board, have a SP97 on it? The Thermalright website does not list this DFI board as one that fits this cooler but it may be because it hasn't been updated.(I am crossing my fingers)

2. The DFI website sucks for getting compatibilty info, So I have not been able to find out if the Corsair ram I own works with this board. It is PC3200c2 w/ the heatspreaders. Does anyone know if it works and how good it is for OC?

I am on a budget.(I am giving him this system for the cost of shipping and the OEM OS I am getting from newegg). So if the ram or HS don't work for this board, then does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help will be great

PS- don't suggest an AMD64 board because the cost of that upgrade exceeds what I desire to spend. Plus I am waiting for the FX's and the boards with them to mature a bit. :D :)

1. SP-97 will fit with careful installation and/or some slight modification. Best to contact Thermalright ( [email protected] ) and provide proof of purchase for the LP board and SP-97, and they will supply you with a replacement backplate/standoff kit to mount all SLK/SP series heatsinks to the Infinity/LP-B board.

there's a couple of threads at the amdmb.com - dfi section about this, including a user-made guide.

2. I need more information on your Corsair memory. I have TwinX1024 dual channel kit and they work fine in all the DFI boards. LP-B/Infinity has better compatibility with Corsair RAM than the LP-A board did.

If you want the same great board (same pcb, bios, voltages) as the LP-B but don't want to spend over $100US, I suggest trying the Infinity NF2. Only real difference besides the color of the board, is lack of accessory kit that the LP boards have, and no gigalan...just a single 10/100. same 4ch SATA w/RAID, Soundstorm, etc.

ok I have 512mb Corsair TwinX PC3200C2 intstalled in my DDR slots and a 512mb stick of XMS PC3200C2 in the third slot(bought each mem set at different times because of budget). Runs stable at 2-2-2-4.

I will look into the adaptor plate and the DFI Infinity NF2. Gigalan isnt that big a deal since it is strapped but the system bus.

EDIT: one additional question.. I can use these boards in a single SATA drive configuration or as individual drives when I have more than one?(I plan on using three to start)

Thank you

Back