Need help with CD-ROM R Drive

lanra

n00b
Need help with CD-ROM R Drive

Here is my problem. My CD-ROM R stop working correctly ( it will work intermittent, i.e. sometimes it will quit in the middle of a burn or if you open windows explorer and insert a cd you could see a folder flash quickly and disappear ) about the time I installed the Win2k SP 4, shortly after it quit all together. If I use a regular CD-Rom drive it works fine.
No matter how many different brand of CD-Rom R drive I have used, the drive can’t read the contents of the media. It always says “please insert a disk into drive D:”
My computer specs: OS Win2k with all the latest updates: Mainboard MSI 6340 M VER 5 VIA chipset latest 4-1 V 451 drivers: CPU AMD Duron 1300: HD WD 40 GB: RAM 512 MG generic: Video Card Nvidia GF 2 MX Drivers 6.14.10.5216: PS Allied 350 W MAX: CD-Rom R Lite-On 52x32x52 it works fine in other computers

Here is what I have tried so far
Changed power supplied
Changed IDE Cables with known good cables new and used
Tried four different known good CD-Rom R
Used VIA Bus Master IDE controller, as well as Microsoft standard dual PCI IDE controller

Come on guys help me out I know that I have not tried everything.
I suspect one of the Win2k SP so I uninstall all of them but that did not work. Is there a way to fix this.

Any suggestions please
Thanks in advance

Maybe I missed it but what software are you using to burn with? Roxio? Nero? Something else?

Also it's ok to call it a CD-R or CDRW drive. :)

I was using roxio with my original CDRR
The drive will not even read so I can't install any software
the new software will be nero

Back