Need help, can't update ATI drivers w/o chopping problems.

Luxor

[H]ard|Gawd
Arg! This is getting frustrating.. games keep crashing and I'd like to keep my drivers up to date. :mad:

Alright, I have been using old, old Catalyst drivers for a while because everytime I try and upgraded to the newer drivers (including the newest ones), it makes my windows and graphics chop.

For Instance, I will drag a window across the desktop and it will chop really bad. Or if I click the Start button, it will chop as it slides open.

I know it's not the monitor I am using, I use a 17" LCD, used all the refresh rates and still had the problem. Even installed the Viewsonic VX700 (my LCD) drivers and still no luck. Then I tried my Samsung 17" CRT and it still chops like mad.

I have looked and looked and just can't get it to work.

By the way, I am using an ATI 9700 Pro on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard.

Drivers that work are 6.14.10.6368 (Catalyst 3.6) :rolleyes:

First of all, make sure that you have directX 9.0b installed. (Reinstall it.) Then, if you download and unzip the latest official Catalysts, you'll find a file called aticimun.exe in the unzipped folder (default in case of the latest drivers: C:\ati\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c). Run it. It removes all ATI-related drivers and registry components. Then reboot, and don't let Windows install anything. Install the new drivers.

Woot! Works! Mucho thanks man!

I already had the Directx9b. The driver installer did not have that .exe you said was in there, but a quick search on google found it. I ran it, restarted, then reinstalled the new drivers. AND IT WORKS! SWEET! :D

Thanks again!

Strange... the file is definitely in the all-in-one version of the drivers, i.e. the file that is about 23 MB. Maybe you downloaded one of the smaller versions.

Anyway, I'm glad it's solved now.

I've never had this problem with my Radeon cards (9700 pro, 9800 pro, 9800 XT)

I had the same problem, even after I wiped and did a fresh install. The way I fixed it is pretty simple. Just go to the advanced settings and change the DPI, once it's fully changed, re-boot, and the new DPI settings are not chopped, Then I just set it back to Normal and every thing was fine.

Back