Myst

bhR

n00b
Has anyone here played all 5 Myst games?
I played the first one when it came out and loved it, but for unknown reasons didn't keep up with the series.

I'm feeling like adventuring. Would you suggest playing out the series?
It's either that or I'm thinking about getting The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.
Or maybe Siberia i and II.
Thoughts anyone?

i got stuck in 4 and never picked it back up, lol. but uru was not problem, you don't have to play uru as it is not part of the myst 1-5 story, great games though

Myst was awesome. Riven was also good. Exile was a dissapointment. I stopped playing after that because I realized I was solving the same puzzles over and over. :p

Myst: Great game. Get 3D Myst and play that through, it is redone well.
Riven: Second favorite. You definately have to play this one. I found the CD-ROM version plays fine in XP while the DVD version doesn't.
Myst III: Exile: Good, fun game, skip over this game if you don't want to play all of them
Myst IV: Revelations: My favorite. If you are going to only play one, this is it.
Uru: Hated it.
Myst V: End of Ages: Least favorite. I liked playing it, but overall was disappointed in it.

Let me explain my hatred of Uru. I own all 3 myst books. I have read them several times. Uru bases a lot of things on the books. The problem is they get them wrong, which is really sad to see since the author of the book also produced Uru.

Myst improved and my favorite game was produced after the Rand Miller (him and his brother made the original Myst and started Cyan) stopped working on them. Miller came back and created Uru and End of Ages, with less than spectacular results.

I also still can't believe that they thought an online version of Myst would work. The best part of the Myst series is playing it alone and solving the puzzles by yourself.

Brings back memories. :D

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I hope they release all the game in some kind of compilation or something... I don't feel like tracking them all down.

brom42 said:
I also still can't believe that they thought an online version of Myst would work. The best part of the Myst series is playing it alone and solving the puzzles by yourself.

i feel the same way, maybe playing with one person in the room max, but i don't see how online would be fun i never even tried my online trial for uru

k1pp3r said:
i feel the same way, maybe playing with one person in the room max, but i don't see how online would be fun i never even tried my online trial for uru

When I was in college and was playing Myst III, there would always be people watching. Whenever I got a little stuck, it someone started to talk about it, I would always scream, "Shut-up, shut-up, shut-up!!" over and over. When I played I never wanted help, no matter how badly I got stuck.

deathstar550 said:
Brings back memories. :D

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I hope they release all the game in some kind of compilation or something... I don't feel like tracking them all down.

They have an anniversary pack that contains all of the old games together, Link here Myst IV and V are still really easy to find.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
brom42 said:
They have an anniversary pack that contains all of the old games together, Link here Myst IV and V are still really easy to find.
That's a pretty good idea actually, since it's one DVD and I don't think the first two will run on XP/2K. Worth it for the Myst remake alone.

brom42 said:
I own all 3 Myst books. I have read them several times. Uru bases a lot of things on the books. The problem is they get them wrong…
If you are referring to the inconsistency between the books and URU about the location of the cleft, and weather the its in the Middle East or New Mexico, Cyan themselves have come out and said that the book has it wrong. The re-released novels (the Myst Rader collection) have the inaccuracies corrected I believe.

The “in character” explanation is that the Myst series (the Atrus storyline) is a “Series of fictitious games created by a company named Cyan Worlds based on D’ni culture, places, and events”, the books are based on the events of this fictitious storyline and as such are also “based on reality” which means that they may deviate from what actually happened in D’ni history entirely even though they fit with the happenings of the Myst series. From URU’s point of view the other games are just that, and it is the true reality on which they are based.

That is the official word on it from Cyan and the DRC.

brom42 said:
…which is really sad to see since the author of the book also produced Uru.
The Author of the books is David Wingrove, and he had no affiliation with the production of URU other than the input offered by the books he wrote years before it was released.

brom42 said:
Myst improved and my favorite game was produced after the Rand Miller (him and his brother made the original Myst and started Cyan) stopped working on them. Miller came back and created Uru and End of Ages, with less than spectacular results.
Rand Miller didn’t leave Cyan, Robin Miller did.

brom42 said:
It can and does work, I beta tested it before UBI pulled the plug on it in favor of putting in more servers for other games.

You might want to check out www.urulive.com again, you can already play it in its current state online with others; active development and beta testing will resume this summer, for which several thousand Myst fans have signed up for.

brom42 said:

Awesome. Thanks. :D

Unknown-One said:
If you are referring to the inconsistency between the books and URU about the location of the cleft, and weather the its in the Middle East or New Mexico, Cyan themselves have come out and said that the book has it wrong. The re-released novels (the Myst Rader collection) have the inaccuracies corrected I believe.

The “in character” explanation is that the Myst series (the Atrus storyline) is a “Series of fictitious games created by a company named Cyan Worlds based on D’ni culture, places, and events”, the books are based on the events of this fictitious storyline and as such are also “based on reality” which means that they may deviate from what actually happened in D’ni history entirely even though they fit with the happenings of the Myst series. From URU’s point of view the other games are just that, and it is the true reality on which they are based.

That is the official word on it from Cyan and the DRC.

The Author of the books is David Wingrove, and he had no affiliation with the production of URU other than the input offered by the books he wrote years before it was released.

I got the books right when they came out, and all of them have "Rand Miller (and sometimes Robyn) with David Wingrove" written as the authors. The Miller's names came first. This usually means at the very least that Rand had full control over what went into the book, even if he didn't physically write it. I personally think that the location was overlooked until after the game was released, and they just decided to say the books were wrong. Uru could have easily been changed in development to match what the books said, instead of changing the books to match the game.

Unknown-One said:
Rand Miller didn’t leave Cyan, Robin Miller did.

My mistake. I know it was one of them, but couldn't remember and made a guess.

Unknown-One said:
It can and does work, I beta tested it before UBI pulled the plug on it in favor of putting in more servers for other games.

You might want to check out www.urulive.com again, you can already play it in its current state online with others; active development and beta testing will resume this summer, for which several thousand Myst fans have signed up for.

So did I, I hated it. I was glad when they cancelled the online and released the add-on packs. I didn't know they were restarting it, but after the first experiance I don't want to do it again. The Myst series died for me with End of Ages. I saw Uru as really bad choice and if they want to push the series in that direction, I can see them loosing plenty of their fans. Uru feels like they were just making a different game and decided to attach the Myst name and storyline to it to give it an instant fanbase. The amount of people that were interested in it the first time was horrible, and if only several thousand people have signed up, it looks like the turn out is horrible again.

WoW disabled 18,000 accounts in December and has over 5 million users. To be fair it did launch with only about 200,000 accounts. Uru has a few thousand total users you say?? Good luck. :rolleyes:

And to prove I am not all negative, :p they did make a good choice by using an already established gaming network. (gametap) This should make overhead costs go way down. Not to mention the fact gametap is under $10 a month.

I played through the original and Riven, about it. It seemed as though the series kind of strayed too far away from the original after the second one. :mad:

I've gotten all of the Myst games as they've come out over the years. I'm in the middle of Revelation still... Spire was very intimidating and I haven't played in months. Haven't touched End of Ages yet. Riven is typically regarded as the best and I'll go along with that, but I think Exile is still my favorite so far.

Uru looked nice, but I think it's worse than any of the Myst games. The free To D'ni expansion was lowsy and I didn't finish it. I didn't bother buying the Path of the Shell expansion either. I can't believe Cyan is going to give Uru online another shot... the idea practically put them out of business before.

Back