MySQL question

Flagg

Limp Gawd
Can you use a DB created on a Microsoft SQL Server and move it to a mySQL server running linux? They have less then 10 clients connecting to the DB and currently the SQL engine is running on one of the desktops and I am trying to move this company to a server/client organization as opposed to a peer-to-peer setup.

can you export the db any way? If you can export the db into sql commands you might be a le to modify it by hand enough to get it over just fine.

If you can dump it in SQL script format it would be easy to import, and I belive you can export it in CSV format from MSSQL and import it but I've never doe it that way before so I'm not sure how easy that would be.

You can definitely dump the database into an SQL script and reload it. Just be warned that MySQL is a joke compared to MSSQL in terms of management tools, query optimization and the like. It also is non-SQL compliant, so be prepared to do lots of editing by hand to get datatypes converted and various statements rewritten. There are 3rd party tools for MySQL available that make it more tolerable, but even these are buggy++.

blah sounds like more of a pain in the ass then its worth.. Its not a full fledged SQL server, its a "SQL Desktop Engine" basically a REALLY watered down version of sql. Oh well, thanks for the input guys

MySQL is preferrable to those test versions. If you've never done something like this before, give yourself a good day or two (not solid work, but there's a lot of reading and wandering around stupid trying to figure things out time). As you get more experienced it can drop to a few hours, though if the database is complex you'll never get below the days level if you want to be sure everything works right.

Back