My x800XT experience...

phas3d

Gawd
This might come in handy for all those out there about to get an x800xt and use it in an overclocked system.

I started a little more than a week ago when i purchased my Sapphire x800pro and modded it successfully to a x800XT. It is the VIVO card with an XT core and uncut bridge. I watercooled it using a swiftech block and found the highest, stable OC for core/mem to be 540/585. My highest score so far is 13294 in 3dmark03. Found here for comparison . I recently switched boards to an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and was trying to raise the clock of the proc. What I found was, anything really over 3.3ghz would cause my system to fail, to restart when using 3dmark03 and farcry (didnt test using any other software). I varied the core/mem of the card from 527/571 all the way to 560/595. Each and every time, regardless of processor speed (greater than @ 3.3ghz) my system would freeze and either the screen would go black or my pc would restart itself.

Then I realized that I had the ram timings at SPD on my ASUS board. They had defaulted to 4,4,4,8. When I tightened up the speeds to 2,6,6,7, I discovered that I no longer got restarts or black screens. I was able to run my x800 at 540/585 without any issues, getting roughly the same score in 3dmark (13000+ points) and was able to play for 2 hours in FarCry.

Not sure why, but relaxed timings caused my card to go reboot. Something else I noticed is using ATItool, I am able to push my card to 560/605 mem/core completely stably, but once I start 3dmark03 or farcry, my system crashes. No warnings of any kind (ie. no artifacts or tears like with my 9800np). I think 13k+ is fine with my current system. I think I have found the sweet spot as 3.4ghz on a 2.4c with core/mem at 540/591 has yielded the best results. I had even had my system up to 3.65ghz and run through some tests but got much lower scores in all my benchmarks than running at around 3.4ghz. I have tested this on 2 abit IC7s and 1 P4C800.

Just FYI. Anyone with advice or stories to tell about their x800s please feel free to comment.

phas3d

i got over 13000 with my overclocked on air 6800gt that cost 399.99. I have a 3.0c non overclocked

How much did you pay for yours?

Hmm. Very interesting. Can you post a link to compare? What kind of ram are you using and what are your overclock settings? What manufacturer is your mobo?

I also have a 6800GT on the way and am building a gaming computer to sell.

phas3d

Guessing from what I read of the review on the new 2.8 P4 on the front page, my first guess would be you need more power.

sorry, i dont have a registered version of futuremark, but my PNY 6800gt is overclocked (easily) at 440/1.2. My auto detect showed 456/1.25 or something around that. I can clock it as high as 465, but after 10 min it gets too hot. I got lucky, though, it seems my card is really good. I plan to get the VGA silencer when it comes out, so i can increases the core clock/ram. I havent even done any of the volt mods (pencil trick for .25v or flash to ultra for additional .1v) If i had watercooling, i would expect with the volt mods, i would hit 500-520 easily.

I have noticed that the 3dmark score goes up drastically when the gt is overclocked--it scales REALLY well.

JKA Represent said:
sorry, i dont have a registered version of futuremark, but my PNY 6800gt is overclocked (easily) at 440/1.2. My auto detect showed 456/1.25 or something around that. I can clock it as high as 465, but after 10 min it gets too hot. I got lucky, though, it seems my card is really good. I plan to get the VGA silencer when it comes out, so i can increases the core clock/ram. I havent even done any of the volt mods (pencil trick for .25v or flash to ultra for additional .1v) If i had watercooling, i would expect with the volt mods, i would hit 500-520 easily.

I have noticed that the 3dmark score goes up drastically when the gt is overclocked--it scales REALLY well.
to bad we cant play 3dmark:(...lol good o/c by the way, ultra @ gt price, cant go wrong

You dont have to have a registered version of 3dmark to save your scores.

JKA Represent said:

if, if if,,,,,,

Back