My working PSU doesn't work!??!

I have built a PC out of bits lying around my house. I put all the bits together but without a PC case as I don't have a spare one. I connected the power cord and nothing happened. The PSU didn't power up at all (no fan whirring or anything) so I tried a second PSU and again nothing. Both these units used to work fine I only replaced them with higher rated PSUs as my PC became more power greedy. Can PSUs just stop working if they are left in a (dry) cupboard? Is it that the PSUs need to be fitted in case, maybe to ground them or something?? I used to use a PC PSU on my old Amiga 1200 outwith a PC case and never had this so I'm doubtful but you never know!! Can someone please shed some light on this for me?!?!?

Did you turn on the computers once the PSU was connected? As in using a switch or screwdriver or something on the connector on the motherboard?

Err, no! I didn't think of that in my panic and frustration ( and stupidity :p ). I don't have a way of hooking up a switch to the power switch pins, is there a way to switch it on ie/ shorting the pins with a screwdriver or something? The mobo is a Jetway V266B if that helps! Thanks for the help so far :)

Yep, just short the two pins for the power switch header with a screwdriver, and it'll spring to life

for future reference it quickly determine if the power supply works
a paperclip from any on the black wires on the main power connector to the green wire (there is only one) will do the same thing, but you should attach a resistive load to the PSU as well, a HDD \ Optical Drive would be ideal, if there isnt enough of a load it might not turn on.

Back