My "window" mod...

Thaddy

Limp Gawd
Well I wanted to keep the clean look of my Lian-Li, and I wanted to add a window. I didn't want something that everyone has though, which is just a hole hacked in the side of their case.

I was looking at the front of my case one day, and really liked the look of the drilled out intake grilles. Well, this is the aftermath:

P1010352.JPG

P1010349.JPG

P1010350.JPG

P1010351.JPG

The top of the AMD logo is a tad crooked:eek:

Next up is some green LED's that illuminate the AMD logo when my HDD is being accessed.

pretty cool stuff right there,
but what happens when you upgrade that XP 1800?

Originally posted by vck6v3

but what happens when you upgrade that XP 1800?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unless they come out with a XP18000, it'll look weird :p

I already have...read my sig:)

XP1800 is my alter ego for another forum that I visit quiet frequently;)

I still have the chip though, it's folding 24/7 for me.

wow that XP1800 came out really good, looks like it was done by a machine and not by hand :eek:

Originally posted by jeece
Is it just me, or the AMD logo is flipped/reversed? :p

Hehe, I was waiting for someone to notice this! I was going to make it the other way (the right way), but it just didn't look as good, so I just flipped the design and did it that way:)

nice... if you ever upgrade you can just turn the side into a window.

Originally posted by Thaddy
Hehe, I was waiting for someone to notice this! I was going to make it the other way (the right way), but it just didn't look as good, so I just flipped the design and did it that way:)

I kinda agree with that, it just looks more balanced this way. I just didn't know if it was on purpose or a goof... ;) But hey, it's still a great mod you got here, IMHO. I'm looking into something similar for my server case.

when you say making some LED's light up the logo are you gonna mount them in the holes of the logo or just backlight it? I think in the holes of the logo would look awesome but wow wiring all that would suck! But if you put all this effort in, add a lil more and make it sweet. Just my thoughts, probably uselss but ya never know :p

Originally posted by That_Sound_Guy
when you say making some LED's light up the logo are you gonna mount them in the holes of the logo or just backlight it? I think in the holes of the logo would look awesome but wow wiring all that would suck! But if you put all this effort in, add a lil more and make it sweet. Just my thoughts, probably uselss but ya never know :p

That would work, but it would require too many LED's and the wiring would REALLY suck, like you said. I'm just gonna get like 2 green LED's and point them towards the logo:)

Excellent mod, man! Very clean. I see your digicam takes as good of pictures as mine does. heh

Originally posted by jamezzz122
Looks great...Must of been tedious huh?

*sigh* The holes took forever to drill, and then I still have to get some jewelers files and sand them down:(

looks good...clean and professional
what did you use to draw out the pattern? some kind of stencil or completely freehand?

heheh u should stick a p4 in there

Pretty nice Unoid. Must say, I'd never have the "ubar-1337 pr3c1s10n skillz" to do something like that.

Probably a n00b question, but why are you just punching holes instead of cutting shapes fully out?

wow you did an excellent job man. seriously i can imagine how tiring that could be. ill have to think about doing something like that. good work. :)

Originally posted by lorcani
Pretty nice Unoid. Must say, I'd never have the "ubar-1337 pr3c1s10n skillz" to do something like that.

Probably a n00b question, but why are you just punching holes instead of cutting shapes fully out?

Because EVERYONE cuts holes in the side of their case. I wanted to be a little different.

Lol, I have a Lian-Li too, try not to flame me too hard for that last comment!

Maybe cut a piece of EL sheet and put behind the holes? Would eliminate the wiring issue with LEDs.

Originally posted by jwill
so he made a mistake, relax.

Ohh ok, got a little confused. Sorry:)

Originally posted by Izza
Maybe cut a piece of EL sheet and put behind the holes? Would eliminate the wiring issue with LEDs.

Would I still be able to wire it to the hard drive header on the mobo? Also, this would prevent the blue light from shining through when the HDD is not active.

Meh, you'd have to wire up a circuit in order to have it show HDD activity, and yeah... it would block other light from shining through.

I got to thinking though, and what you could do is cut a piece of plexi and mount it behind the holes. Use a dremel to "frost" the plexi that shows through the holes, and you'd not only see ambient light from your cathodes, but placing an LED on the side of the plexi would illuminate the holes.

Get what I mean?

Originally posted by Izza
Meh, you'd have to wire up a circuit in order to have it show HDD activity, and yeah... it would block other light from shining through.

I got to thinking though, and what you could do is cut a piece of plexi and mount it behind the holes. Use a dremel to "frost" the plexi that shows through the holes, and you'd not only see ambient light from your cathodes, but placing an LED on the side of the plexi would illuminate the holes.

Get what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. Actually, that what I'm probably gonna end up doing. It was my initial idea:)

That way, I would only have to wire up one LED to the corner or something, and it would light the whole piece of plexi.

Good Job, but what happens when you update your processor?

Not sure if anyone else said this yet, but it looks like a Light Brite from back in the 70's-80's.

Back