My Wife and Oblivion

blinkmus

Limp Gawd
Bought Oblivion on tuesday, started a game, played for a couple of hours, saved my game and went to bed.

Come home today to find out my wife has created a character and started playing...now i cant find my character...is it lost for good? can it possibly be that it was overwritten by my wife? can you only have one character?

Charles

I don't know if it's lost for good. I would say so. What you should do is right before you exit the sewers, save the game, then you can always load that game and change your person, then go and adventure!

Also, if the two of you are going to play, press ~ then type "savegame Joe" (or whatever your name is) or "savegame sarah", or "savegame sarah1" (and 2,3,4, etc) so you can see who owns what game slot.

Yea I think autosaves are removed if you exit the game and dont continue right away from the auto save.

also If you manually saved it and she manually saved on top of your save, your screwed.

If your wife doesnt have her own PC I would save my game twice LOL. Make sure even if she did accidently copy over one of them you have a back up just incase.

Also having them named will help.

You can't name them, which sucks. It does however show the name of the character. Me and my girlfriend are sharing just fine, sucks that you lost your game.

The biggest problem I've heard of is people just using the quicksaves. it only has one quicksave slot and the characters are stored in the saves, so if she overwrote your only save, then you're out of luck.

I just wish I could get my wife to play the game so she'd understand why she hasn't seen me for three days. :)

cuemasterfl said:
Also, if the two of you are going to play, press ~ then type "savegame Joe" (or whatever your name is) or "savegame sarah", or "savegame sarah1" (and 2,3,4, etc) so you can see who owns what game slot.

That seems to work...played for 3 hours last night and its all good.

My wife plays more than me and she didnt even want me to buy the game...go figure.

Thanks for the tip cuemasterfl...now this game can be the time waster a thought morrowwind was gonna be.

Charles

blinkmus said:
My wife plays more than me and she didnt even want me to buy the game...go figure.

its the sad story of most gamers...

blinkmus said:
That seems to work...played for 3 hours last night and its all good.

Thanks for the tip cuemasterfl...now this game can be the time waster a thought morrowwind was gonna be.

Charles

Always happy to help a fellow Bliv :)

arr4ws said:
its the sad story of most gamers...
Most gamers have wives that play games more than they do?!? What fantasy world do you live in and how do I get there? Is it within walking distance?

The exciting part is, it is within walking distance. However, there is a catch.

You have to walk on a belt that is moving the opposite way, so the faster you walk, the faster the belt moves in the opposite direction. It takes a while to get there.

I had my EX girlfriend do that to me in GTA:SA, I had completed about 90% of the whole game and was just pimping it up. She wanted to play and started a game and ended up saving over my file.

I don't think I need to explain the EX part! :D

What I do is upgrade my PC alot and then put the old parts in my Wife's PC. That way she has a killer gaming rig too.

So now we both Oblivion all night, every night. No TV, barely any food or sleep, just work, come home, play, sleep for a couple hours, rinse and repeat.

Teach me my friends. My wife won't touch anything. WoW, shooters, nothing except windows pinball and that blasted myspace. :(

arentol said:
What I do is upgrade my PC alot and then put the old parts in my Wife's PC. That way she has a killer gaming rig too.

So now we both Oblivion all night, every night. No TV, barely any food or sleep, just work, come home, play, sleep for a couple hours, rinse and repeat.

As cool as that sounds at first, it's really.... kinda sad. But hey at least she's got something to keep her busy while you're playing ;)

Be honest, did you actually buy two copies? :p

Baredor said:
Teach me my friends. My wife won't touch anything. WoW, shooters, nothing except windows pinball and that blasted myspace. :(

Easy, block myspace.com in the router settings! :p

Baredor said:

If you can't teach an old dog a new trick find a new one that knows it already... :p

CodeX said:
You can't name them, which sucks. It does however show the name of the character. Me and my girlfriend are sharing just fine, sucks that you lost your game.

To name your saved game hit tilde menu

savegame "whatevername"

Baredor said:

It's for the greater good if your wife/girlfriend doesn't want to play. All they do is ask questions every 15-20 seconds. :p

Torgo said:
Most gamers have wives that play games more than they do?!? What fantasy world do you live in and how do I get there? Is it within walking distance?

From personal experience, my fiance will play games like this, the sims, and that dreaded "Dream home builder" thingy more than I ever get to play. Thank God for the 360, I can have her playing Oblivion on it while I play on the PC. Too bad this game doesn't offer Co-op.

You know, I don't understand why it is I love to play this game, but I can't stand MMOs, even the much hyped WoW.

Oh wait, yeah I can - it is called realtime combat and a better leveling system.

Kevlarman said:
Easy, block myspace.com in the router settings! :p

Also, go to Blazingtools.com and download their password tracker thingy, and make sure that snatch ain't setting up times to meet her other men on the side. Not to mention it is a good way to find out what she really thinks of you when talking to her friends. Sounds evil, I know - but she is logging in on your computer, which gives you the right to know what she is doing on it.

I had a buddy that did that to his wife, found out she had been cheating on him for over a year. Even had to get their newborn daughter tested to see if it was even his (it was). His wife had sent a myspace message saying she was going to meet up with her ex-boyfriend in front of Toys R Us of all places, then head out for dinner and then for sex. She showed up, only to find my friend waiting for her ass.

Needless to say they are not together anymore. That myspace can be a b!tch, watch it like a hawk my friends.

Saving with certain names would be kind of nice. Also the best way to probably check would be in MyDocuments->MyGames->Oblivion->Saves.

That should list all the saved files. If you were only using the autosave you're probably screwed. I know for me I saved several times and the files are something like:
Code:
Save 28 - YourName - The Painted World, Level 1, Playing Time 02.31.41.ess

~ savegame "enter same name here" (minus the quotes)

shows up in the save/load screen with whatever you save it as

Back