mp3 player recommendations

animalchin

[H]ard|Gawd
hey all been a long time since ive posted at [h]. im in the market for an mp3 player, not one that plays cds with mp3s but a real one. i have a ton of money, and i dont want to buy an ipod, because its expensive as balls, and i only have like 1-2gb of music. so i was wondering if anynoe had any recommendatisn for a $100-200 mp3 player with good size(128 or 256), reliable, good quality, interface and all those necessary things. thanks

the nitrus looks really nice, but i cant look too much since im at school. ill look when i get home. any other recommendations? thanks for those few though. rio seems to be pretty good

i was looking at those mp3 players again, and it seems like some people had the Nitrus die on them, the battery is not replacable and that there is no battery clip, which i want since i want to run with it and all. also, i would like some recommendations, would it just be worth it to plop down $50 more and get the 10gb ipod i think it is, or a dell one? are there any good 512 mb ones also?

do HD mp3 players skip?

also 999 posts :)

Originally posted by animalchin
i was looking at those mp3 players again, and it seems like some people had the Nitrus die on them, the battery is not replacable and that there is no battery clip, which i want since i want to run with it and all. also, i would like some recommendations, would it just be worth it to plop down $50 more and get the 10gb ipod i think it is, or a dell one? are there any good 512 mb ones also?

do HD mp3 players skip?

also 999 posts :)

I am a fan of the iPod myself :)

They can skip if they are heavily jostled while they are filling up the buffers. Even so, it would only happen while doing activities such as jogging.

well i like to jog.... do most HD players do that?

PS: are there any good mp3 forums, or better sections for this at [H]?

EDIT: i was looking at ebay, and they seem too have some bargains so i might get one off of there. what generation do you recommend i get? can you explain this skipping thing since i want to be able to jog.

I think the best choice would be RIO's new sport players, I think its Cala or Cali.

256mb internal or 128mb internal. I'd snag the 256mb, you cna find online for $170. plus you cna use the extra memory slot for up to 512mb MORE storage.

Only downside I thnk is no internal rechargable battery. and I don't know if you can sue rechargable batteies in it.?

well i like to jog.... do most HD players do that?

PS: are there any good mp3 forums, or better sections for this at [H]?

EDIT: i was looking at ebay, and they seem too have some bargains so i might get one off of there. what generation do you recommend i get? can you explain this skipping thing since i want to be able to jog.

Yes.

There is an iPod specific forum on www.ipodlounge.com

2nd or 3rd generation are both good. I prefer the 2nd generation for looks and layout (yes, it is bigger) but the 3rd has more accessories.

I have had mine skip once or twice while I was running with it, but I don't remember what I did differently those times. Bassically what you want is a player with a bigger buffer (iPod has one of the largest of the HD players) or a flash player.

Originally posted by Unoid
Only downside I thnk is no internal rechargable battery. and I don't know if you can sue rechargable batteies in it.?

I have yet to find something you can't use a rechargeable battery in.

Originally posted by zachary80
Yes.

There is an iPod specific forum on www.ipodlounge.com

2nd or 3rd generation are both good. I prefer the 2nd generation for looks and layout (yes, it is bigger) but the 3rd has more accessories.

I have had mine skip once or twice while I was running with it, but I don't remember what I did differently those times. Bassically what you want is a player with a bigger buffer (iPod has one of the largest of the HD players) or a flash player.

I have yet to find something you can't use a rechargeable battery in.

yea everything from game boys, cameras, cd players, mice and kb, i can use rechargable batteries with, and i do :)

i think i might do the ipod mini when it comes out in feb. ill read soem reviews and if it sounds good ill do it. the 2nd generation doesnt seem to be supported by apple anymore.... what blows though is that all the lower models which i want like 4-15(at the mose)gb dont come with any clip, or USB cable which i need for a PC. so the mini has all that, 4gb which is plenty, for $250 and is small which is everything i want. im gonna check out ipodlounge.com thanks for all your help guys

at the apple store students get a 30 dollar discount. 15 gigs for 269, third gen and everything. I'm not sure if the mini gets that discount tho.

I run a lot (marathoner) with Rio. Right now I have the last generation of sport model S35S. I have debated getting an Ipost, but I can't justify the money. Very seldomely do I run long enought to listen to all the music or audio books stored on my player.

If you're going to be using it for running and other cardio, I would get one of the small Rio sport models. If not much running or jogging, I would get and Ipod or another HDD based player

Just my opinion.

If you want to run check out the entire line of iRiver reviews and see which one you like as well as the sports line of Rio's mp3 players.

yea everything from game boys, cameras, cd players, mice and kb, i can use rechargable batteries with, and i do :)

i think i might do the ipod mini when it comes out in feb. ill read soem reviews and if it sounds good ill do it. the 2nd generation doesnt seem to be supported by apple anymore.... what blows though is that all the lower models which i want like 4-15(at the mose)gb dont come with any clip, or USB cable which i need for a PC. so the mini has all that, 4gb which is plenty, for $250 and is small which is everything i want. im gonna check out ipodlounge.com thanks for all your help guys

THe mini is out now.

-fool

The Riô Nitrus and Eigen look pretty sweet. I have a Karma and it kicks ass, much better than an iPod (sorry fanboys). For more info on the Riô's check out Riovolution. A bunch of the Riô engineers hang out on the forum there.

Back