Moving a RAID 0 Array...HELP?

batotman

2[H]4U
Got a p4c800 deluxe with onboard RAID. I was wanting to move that array to a PCI card and a different motherboard. Am I going to have an impossible problem on my hand and lose all my data or can I move the array to the PCI card effortlessly?

while im not sure, Id say the only way is to save your data and rebuild the array.

Im not positive though. Im sure Czar will clear it up when he sees your post.

Better back up anything you do not want to loose. Most likely you will not be able to move that Raid array.

The array is setup in your motherboard bios. When you try to move it. The new PCI card bios has no idea the drives were Raided before.

as SKiTLz & Philip pointed out its extremely unlikely youd be able to migrate, there is an outside chance if the onboard RAID Controller and the card controller happen to be the same make chip, and the BIOS is capable of reading the RAID description encoded to the drives.

Id plan on backing up the data (which you should already have considering its RAID0) and rebuilding the array ;)

possibly more to the point would be,
why you need 240GB of performance hard drive space?
you probably have at most 40GBs of OS\programs\data that can actually employ it, (probably more like 7GB)

The Traditional answers are
to another HDD
to Tape
to CDR\DVDR

Personally I backup all my data if I was keeping it on a RAID0
its really best employed as a transitional space, solely for performance

Well the reason I is I have used well over 240GB for various things such as divx encoding, dvd authoring, and other things that really aren't to be posted in the forums. I suppose the obvious solution if there is no way to move the array is to add another 250GB hard drive and back up to it. Then that is going to require a new case with more fan cooled drive bays.

actually it would for the most part be storage for previously encoded or authored media files, that in reality would play seamlessly on a ATA66 5400rpm HDD.

What is the largest single file you have ever dealt with?
(for encoding editing\authoring)

If you have all this media and time invested why isnt there backup?
I mean a little power event that kills a single HDD
and its all gone. Not to mention about a hundered other ways to corrupt data, then complicated by the stripe

Back