Monitor wont come on

steve4433

n00b
Help anyone!

My monitor wont turn on. It just goes into power saving, like its not getting enough power or something.

Ive swapped monitors, graphics cards, memory, power supply, hard drive, taken out all the pci cards and drives and still does the same. Could this be a motherboard problem?

Help!

Thanks

steve

When swapped monitors, does the other monitor do the same? Have you tried putting the monitor with problems on a different computer?

*bump*

all the things i swapped like the monitor and graphics definetly work, im using them now but when put into that computer it just still does the same thing. So i dont think its the monitor. The monitor gets power, but not a signal and so just goes into power saving mode

thanks ck

Dude you can be more vague, but I'm not sure how.

Explain to us A. What you have that IS working, full list of equipment. and B. What you have that ISN'T working.

I kinda followed you right until this statement " im using them now but when put into that computer it just still does the same thing."

"this" and "that" computer don't help. Are you building a new PC, are you salvaging old parts out of a dumpster, or are these parts you have had for a while? Who the fuck knows. Slowly, think about things. I can't see what you do, and I can't help with what you have given us. Give us details.

What were you working on/with before the probly occured? Did it happen abrutptly? Did u tamper with settings? A bit more info is very helpfull

Sorry guys its mailny been early hours of the morning when ive been wrighting these so my mind probably wasnt all there.

Its actually my friends computer that is broken, and i was given the task of fixing it but the problem seems to be bigger than we thought. They were just using as normal and it just suddenly started doing this, they wernt changing any settings or anything. Its not new, been working ok for about a year.

Initially we thought the monitor was broken so we plugged a different one in and it did the same thing.

My machine (the one im using right now) is pretty similar to the broken one, so i've tried swapping various bits of hardware around. I put my graphics card, power supply, memory, hard drive and monitor (all work in my machine) in their machine and it still does exactly the same thing. Ive also tried unplugging all the pci cards and cd drives, as I thought it could be a power issue, but it did the same thing. The only thing I havent tried swapping really are the motherboard and cpu.

AMD XP 2000+
1gb DDR RAM
40 GB Hard Drive
300w Power Supply
Geforce 4 ti 4600

Hope thats clearer

Does the monitor work during post but before windows loads? If so id check the driver.

If its not working at all, stick it on a differant computer, if it works, try a differant video card to replace the suspect one.

OK so we have a machine that just up and crapped itself. We have swapped:

monitors
graphics cards
memory
power supply
hard drive
taken out all the pci cards and drives

What's you seeing on the monitor is a PC that isn't sending a video signal. The components neede to send video (boot) are CPU(HSF), Mobo, RAM, Power, and Video card. Disconnect everything else (sounds like you already have) and swap out these components one at at time. Since you have done some of this already were left with are mobo and CPU. There is an off chance that the mobo is shorting out, but that's usually a bulid issue, not something that happens after it's working. In that case remove the mobo from the case and run it on a non-conductive surface like wood.

Might be that your PSU isnt supplying Power to the card. or your card is just sucking too much power from your psu.

Originally posted by Daemia
Might be that your PSU isnt supplying Power to the card. or your card is just sucking too much power from your psu.
If this was a new build I would tend to agree, but it's been enough power until now, so unless anything was added to the mix the power requirements are the same. Aside from that he removed the drives which should have reduced the total load giving enough to power the video card, if it was close.

Welcome to the forums.

Maybe something is messed up with your agp slot. Do you have a pci graphics card you can try?

That is a definate possibility. On a side note try clearing the CMOS.

Dude your monitor is broke. Mine did the same thing back in the day and I had to get it serviced.

Originally posted by The Titan
Dude your monitor is broke. Mine did the same thing back in the day and I had to get it serviced.
Umm, he swapped out the monitor with a working one and it's the same. He put the monitor on his machine and it works fine.

"all the things i swapped like the monitor and graphics definetly work, im using them now but when put into that computer it just still does the same thing."

We later translated 'that computer' as being his machine which is working just fine.

Both monitors are ok.

Does the monitor work during post and then shut down before windows loads?

Have you tried resetting the Bios?

sounds like you have swaped everything but the motherboard..

The monitor doesnt work at all, at anytime. I turn the monitor on, it comes on, then I turn the computer on and as theres no signal getting to the monitor ( or im assuming thats whats happening) the monitor just goes into power saving mode.

The computer does not beep at start up, i can hear the drives wirring away but thats about it. I cant reset the bios as i cant see whats going on ( if there is anything going on).

Ill try a pci graphics card if i can find one and possibly switching proccessors. Is the cmos the thing you clear by moving the jumper around on the mobo?

Yes, clearing CMOS is done by moving a jumper, check your mobo manual for the specific process, it's simple.

I would try that first, then switch to a PCI video card if you got one. Then look at the process in my second post, that will tell you what part is bad.

could possibly be the cpu and mobo... i had the exact same problem so i am rmaing my cpu and mobo as we speak... it should be here by the weekend and i will let you guys konw if i can get it working again

-warsaw

Back