Min PSU specs

jrg70

Weaksauce
I’m getting ready to put together another system and I have many questions, but I’ll keep this thread to just one.

What kind of PSU specs should I be looking at?

I want to make sure I don’t skip on the PSU. I know that can lead to problems if I don’t provide enough power. But I don’t want to go overboard either. What is the minimum watts I should have?

The system will be a P4 (probably a 2.8 Northwood) running on an Abit IC7-Max 3.

Other spec for the system will include:
WD Raptor or Seagate Barracuda 160-200 GB
1 Ghz of dual channel memory
CD-RW or DVD Rom
Video card is uncertain at this time. I may put in my Ti 4200 until I figure it out conclusively.

Thanks

If I were you, i'd got something in the 400w range, to ensure adaquet power but leave some headroom. An Antec True430, Vantec Stealth 420, Fortron 400, or an Enermax 431, any of those will do just fine.

ask yourself how much are you spending? around $1000.00
Now ask yourself do I really want to hope that I have enough good clean reliable power?
As Vertigo Acid said go with at the least a 400w.
First choice PCP&C(pricey but excellent)
Second: Enermax 431 and then the rest.

http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english

work out your individual rails
then sticking to trusted brands match up at least the minimum for each rail (3.3, 5, 12 volt positives)

a little more is always a good idea, the PSU will last longer, and typically produce less heat (efficiency) and give cleaner power (better regulation of the incoming AC, transient response that is handle the fluctuations of the internal load, and have less ripple and noise) it its not operating at the very edge of its capacity, stressing all those systems
and it also allows you a little room to grow

the calculator adds all the theoretical maximums, and so your never likely to need all of it at one time, but that is offset by the way the PSU is actually rated so its balances out for a reputable brand more often than not, however a generics really screw the specs and cant be trusted at all, the max rating often being good for a handful of seconds only

budget Fortron
best PCP&C

Spetsnaz Op said:
Just get an Allied 400W from newegg.com, 28 bucks ......
..... if you want a fire in your PC. Allied power supplies are the same as the infamous Deer power supplies. Whatever you do, please don't buy an Allied

Hey Ice Czar
Great link it gives a real good visual on the affects of different combinations of [H]ardware on the psu requirements
Good stuff thanks :D

So I guess asking if getting a cheap case with a generic power supply in it is a pretty stupid question at this point. Right? I'm sure you'll suggest something more reputible, like mentioned above. Thanks for the advice. But it leaves me with one more question. Any recomendations for a good case, obviously without a power supply? Maybe I'll head over to that area of the forum. Thanks

For cases Anything by Lian-Li (see my sig) or the Antec Sonata (most stuff by Antec) I don't have much experience with many other Case mfg's Lian Li is the best !
twajetmech :D

What ever case make sure it has a removable MB tray! You won't be sorry.
Lian li is da one I buy :D

Vertigo Acid said:
..... if you want a fire in your PC. Allied power supplies are the same as the infamous Deer power supplies. Whatever you do, please don't buy an Allied

I second that, I'm running my 140W allied psu to it's limits and can't wait for my new case with a generic 420W psu to get here.

Sometimes i'm worried if I turn it on it will catch fire. :eek:

After getting this for an approximate usage stats i'm starting to get very nervous: http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PdQKQaRCRcSB...RcSBgG5DFHEhG5DRHKTaUDUjVjXAXjZbvXCMP&english

Also sometimes when I'm playing a 3d game the drives (hdd,cdroms) lost power.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting a Fortron PSU and I'm very happy with it. Before even installing it I was very impressed with it. Just looking at it put a smile on my face. I've never bought a separate PSU. I've always bought a case with one already in it. It's in now and is working great. What a great purchase that was!

Thanks

Back